• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FS Feeler - 1976 BMW 2002 - California

Laszlo

I need some advice. I have a wonderful and reliable little 1976 2002, Polaris Silber with original navy blue interior, original California car with blue-plates. The vehicle is registered until August 2010. I purchased the car back in August from a member of the BMW 2002 FAQ board. Have put well over $5,000 dollars worth of parts and repairs and this doesn’t included countless hours of my own personal labor. Although I really love this car, I want to sell it. I don’t have the time and rather give it up to someone who wants to either finish restoring it, or run it and maintain it as a great daily driver. If someone wants to go the extra mile, another 5K-to-7K would make this an entry-level show car.

But, there’s a caveat of course. The car is not smog exempt, and although the previous owner had it smogged, I’m not totally confident it’ll pass anymore. The motor still has about 90% of the original smog equipment (at least from what I know), but all the tubes have been plugged and it has a Weber dual carb and an Anza 0227 muffler. I am not going to invest more money to get it smogged, to sell it in California. My wife will have my “you know what” in a sling if I put any more money into this car. So, my biggest question of all, should I just put this on eBay and sell it “out-of-state” or …sell it in California, but make sure the owner I’m selling it to, takes on the responsibility, although technically by law, I’m responsible? Is that wise?

Any and all advice, inquires welcome. I’m thinking of asking $8,900 firm with the rims, less without them.

Here are some details about the car:

1976 BMW 2002

• Original California car, mileage unknown, blue-plate.

• Condition, very good, vintage

• Front windshield is original, has pits/scratch, can be replaced if original isn’t a concern

Polaris Silber

• Paint is in very good cosmetic condition, very shinny. Repainted last year by PO. Paint job was done by PO in a paint booth with quality paint. Job isn’t 100% professional, but presentable. It should last, but if you’re planning partial restoration, then it would deserve a proper paint job. Trim is vintage, some dings on trim, kidney is clean. Some panels have small door dings, easy fix.

Navy Blue Interior

• Interior is in excellent original condition. Seats are in great shape, headliner is very good, original wool carpets are good (although could use a steam clean.) Interior is just wonderful and very vintage. Could be mint if carpet was replaced, door seals and door brakes. Sunroof does not work, needs new cables.

• Has CD player, two speakers in original place (no cut holes, totally preserved interior)

Engine

• Runs very strong

• Weber carbs

• No leaks, smoke or other warning signs

• Mileage unknown

Wheels

• Brand new, authentic and very RARE 13x6 BBS “Motorsport” rims used on late 70’s BMW 320is M-Technique models sold only in France and Italy. These were found at a BMW warehouse in Germany and sent to the US in September. $1,200 Part #

• 13x205x60 Sumato (sp?) tires, lots of tread left

• Wheels do not have weights on the outside of the rim (didn’t want them ruined), but rims could use a rebalance

• Still have original (painted center gold) 13x6 Mahle-BBS in good condition

Suspension

• K&R springs (replaced by PO)

• Brand new Bilstein Sport Shocks, front and rear (very expensive)

• New control arms, balljoints, bushings, front and rear (very expensive job)

• Very tight

• Steering box and toe should be adjusted, has the room, play is less than <5%

Brakes

• Brand new rotors and pad

• Brand new wheel bearings

Exhaust

• 0227 Anza, professionally fabricated

• Manifold re-welded (original smog version) had a HUGE leak, still has a very little leak when driven for a long time, and well heated up, but is fine as is (unless you want to replace it completely with a new part)

4-Speed Transmission

• Replaced in August with very good used rebuilt 4-speed from 1974 2002

• Flexdiscs

• Shifting linkage is sloppy, could use new bushings, would be perfect after this

Rust

• 95% rust free, even California cars

• No rust on towers, frame or other important areas

• Lower right and left fender (in front of rocker area) has surface/embedded rust and needs repair. Needs a proper quote, but based on description it was under $700. This is not detrimental and the car has no rust under side, inside wells, etc. But this should get attention in the next few years.

Tags

• California blue-plates, registered until August 2010

Lots of other cool stuff like Hella driving lights and many other little parts replaced. This is a very good looking car and I get complements all the time. When washed and waxed it looks excellent, true and vintage. On close inspection, yes, it has its flaws, but it’s not a garage queen and it is something you can drive everyday to work and back and not lose your marbles if you get a door ding. You can also take it out for the evening and any valet would complement you on it.

Vin# 2743602

post-17126-13667615046238_thumb.jpg

post-17126-13667615048622_thumb.jpg

post-17126-13667615050253_thumb.jpg

2008 BMW e90 M3

2005 BMW e46 325i

1976 BMW 2002

"Identical" very original car sold in Pomona recently for almost $4k less than you are asking w/sunroof, new paint and cold AC and that was including dealer/consignment mark-up. You may be on the high side, though it is a very nice example.

On closer examination, I *think* we are posting photos of the same car! LOL

side.jpg

"Why would I pay that much money for a 1981 BMW that looks...like a 1981 BMW?" -Charles William Jones, Jr.

1975 Polaris, Sunroof

1976 Malaga

1993 E36 Sedan

1992 Mazda Miata

1998 Volvo V70

When I purchased the car it needed a lot of reconditioning - if you read the feeler details you'll see notes on new paint etc. At one point, I was going to go all the way, but we have three cars and if I didn't have my M3 I'd surely keep it and restore it completely.

It's very original and vintage. It's what makes this car so nice - in my opinion. That price is with the rims, but without the rims the price is $7,700 and I don't feel that price is too high at all. I can get rid of the rims on eBay or to someone who really loves them. Basket weaves aren't everyone's cup of tea.

I had to replace the transmission, most of the suspension, shocks, bearings, rotors, bushings, gaskets and so on. Replacing control arm bushings in the rear is a major job - this stuff wasn't done in my garage.

It has AC and it actually works - really well. The only thing that doesn't work is the cigarette lighter and sunroof. PO and myself invested in all the expensive stuff... the rest is easy depending on how far someone wants to go with it.

This car is reconditioned as is and is a great daily driver - if it sells... great... if not... I keep it.

Some 2002s are going for crazy prices, some I think are going for too low of a price. Thanks for the feedback - that's why I'm feeling the market so I know its value and demand.

2008 BMW e90 M3

2005 BMW e46 325i

1976 BMW 2002

• 1 month later...