• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$3000 tii on craigslist in Bay Area

moloko

sounds like a good way to draw a bidding war. Come up with some rediculously low price and get people to come see the car and then when they offer you your asking price say "oh well somebody else offered me 5000, if you want to make a bid we can call him and see if he wants to raise his price too. What a terrible seller, I hope its not a faqer.

www.VintageAutobahn.com - BMW Parts & Vehicle Import

Forgive me for being hopelessly romantic, but I think a fairly original, two-owner car, especially a tii, deserves to be looked at in person before speculating about the seller's character. tiis aren't getting any cheaper, and a less-than-knowledgable seller may let it go with scarecely a whimper.

If I may play "devil's advocate" for a moment, what if the seller is young enough or inexperienced enough with a K-fish system that he can't tune it properly? What if parts prices/availablity seem too high/impractical?

For the uniinitiated, establishing a selling price may be a daunting task. And ebay listings get expensive, not to mention the stupid questions, shipping, etc.

Maybe he just wants a motorcycle.

A car like this with a weeknd or two of tinkering could have the potential to be a nicely patina'd and possibly rust free driver for less than $5K.

IMO, if I were the least bit interested, I'd grab some cash, go and look at it, make a proper asseessment and do a few calculations. If it works for you make a sincere offer.

If the seller is trolling for wa--aaay too much money, merely walk away.

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

A+++

There are still bargains out there - you just have to look. Be wary of fresh undercoating and "cover it all up" paint jobs.

Forgive me for being hopelessly romantic, but I think a fairly original, two-owner car, especially a tii, deserves to be looked at in person before speculating about the seller's character. tiis aren't getting any cheaper, and a less-than-knowledgable seller may let it go with scarecely a whimper.

If I may play "devil's advocate" for a moment, what if the seller is young enough or inexperienced enough with a K-fish system that he can't tune it properly? What if parts prices/availablity seem too high/impractical?

For the uniinitiated, establishing a selling price may be a daunting task. And ebay listings get expensive, not to mention the stupid questions, shipping, etc.

Maybe he just wants a motorcycle.

A car like this with a weeknd or two of tinkering could have the potential to be a nicely patina'd and possibly rust free driver for less than $5K.

IMO, if I were the least bit interested, I'd grab some cash, go and look at it, make a proper asseessment and do a few calculations. If it works for you make a sincere offer.

If the seller is trolling for wa--aaay too much money, merely walk away.

Delia

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

The car might not be too bad, but the seller sounds like a waste of time, been there, done that. Show up with 3k, offer up to 5k, he'll be wondering if someone will show up with a better deal until someone offers whatever he happens to think he wants at that time.

vince

So, tell me, Vince, are you the optimist or the pessimist?

Read on...

A family had twin boys whose only resemblance to each other was their looks. If one felt it was too hot, the other thought it was too cold. If one said the TV was too loud, the other claimed the volume needed to be turned up. Opposite in every way, one was an eternal optimist, the other a doom and gloom pessimist.

Just to see what would happen, on the twins' birthday their father loaded the pessimist's room with every imaginable toy and game. The optimist's room he loaded with horse manure.

That night the father passed by the pessimist's room and found him sitting amid his new gifts crying bitterly.

"Why are you crying?" the father asked.

"Because my friends will be jealous, I'll have to read all these instructions before I can do anything with this stuff, I'll constantly need batteries, and my toys will eventually get broken." answered the pessimist twin.

Passing the optimist twin's room, the father found him dancing for joy in the pile of manure. "What are you so happy about?" he asked.

To which his optimist twin replied, "There's got to be a pony in here somewhere!"

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

deliawolfe@gmail.com

I got my Tii for 2200.

It was in great shape for the price nonetheless.

The seller took a deposit, and waited a month for me to finish saving up.

Everyone wants to sell their stuff for more money. Yet, when the consensus offer a different price than what it is put up for, the usually go for the asking price.

Gee, Delia, it's not a matter of optimism or pessimism, the seller stated his price as $3000, then in his ad he said he wanted to get more than $3000 (though his ad has been deleted now) or might trade it for something else.

As I said, I've dealt with these type of sellers for cars, parts and other items in the past, and when they mention in their ads something contrary to a firm selling price, it's a red flag that indicates they probably won't be straightforward with their pricing.

The car looked and sounded like a decent car.

So I'm neither an optimist nor pessimist, but a realist based upon my experiences.

vince

Gee, Delia, it's not a matter of optimism or pessimism, the seller stated his price as $3000, then in his ad he said he wanted to get more than $3000 (though his ad has been deleted now) or might trade it for something else.

As I said, I've dealt with these type of sellers for cars, parts and other items in the past, and when they mention in their ads something contrary to a firm selling price, it's a red flag that indicates they probably won't be straightforward with their pricing.

So I'm neither an optimist nor pessimist, but a realist based upon my experiences.

vince

you predicted this seller acurately.

new listing:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/cto/1455190995.html

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

vince

you predicted this seller acurately.

new listing:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/cto/1455190995.html

Vince,

I guess you didn't like the joke.

;/

And the devil's advocate position wasn't all that accurate.

My apologies if I offended you.

I think I should point out that in the original cl post, the guy wanted AT LEAST $3K. And, maybe he saw our comments here on the faq, so possibly he did a bit cogitating on the "REAL" price he had in mind.

If I were a potential buyer and not some Monday Morning Quarterback, I'd have contacted him, made my offer (or walked away) and not bothered to post anything here on the faq.

And, correct me if I'm wrong, neither you nor jerry are potential buyers, either.

D

1973 2002tii - gone

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

deliawolfe@gmail.com

[

And, correct me if I'm wrong, neither you nor jerry are potential buyers, either.

D

well, if the truth be known, i need another 02, tii or otherwise like a 'hole in the head', BUT, his very first posting did not even state the original suggestion of $3000, SOOOOOO,

i did what any other 'dreamer' would do and emailed an inquiry with some questions; answers to which appeared in his subsequent updates on CL.

at the right price, i would have MADE room. you betcha.....

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

[

D

well, if the truth be known, i need another 02, tii or otherwise like a 'hole in the head', BUT, his very first posting did not even state the original suggestion of $3000, SOOOOOO,

i did what any other 'dreamer' would do and emailed an inquiry with some questions; answers to which appeared in his subsequent updates on CL.

at the right price, i would have MADE room. you betcha.....

Um yeah, sure, jerry. The title of this thread ($3000 tii on craigslist in Bay Area) doesn't mention the price, either.

And um, yeah, I'm sure YOU'RE the one who contacted the seller and posed the questions that prompted him to cancel the ad -- the re-post with a selling price for $5000. Nice work!

And yeah, you "WOULD HAVE, AT THE RIGHT PRICE" bought it -- well, who wouldn't -- no matter how many 2002 projects in various states of completion were sitting in the driveway.

And, yeah, sure -- I WOULD HAVE solved the problem of World Hunger but I decided to stay home and wash my hair.

D

1973 2002tii - gone

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

deliawolfe@gmail.com

Delia,

I wasn't offended, but wondered if you felt sorry for the seller. :)

I thought the joke was funny; the pessimist will never be happy with anything he gets, and the optimist is happy if all he gets is manure.

The seller really sounds like a piece of work in the latest ad. Funny, but these kinds of sellers all seem to write alike. "This is a good car, it just needs a little work, but it's really worth XXX dollars and I'm not gonna sell it for less".

I've never heard of a radiator overheating. Might he mean it may have a head gasket problem? Sounds like it... I wonder what other problems it has that he isn't telling us about or doesn't know about?

Sounds like a good project for someone who knows what they're getting into, not sure about the price though. Not exactly rare anymore, and prolly needs some good time/bucks put into it. A good case "it's worth what someone wants to pay". This is why I like ebay, you see what people are willing to go to, good or bad.

I'm not in the market on this one.

vince