• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another difference noted: 73 to 74 cars (dash cluster)

jgerock

While working on my dash cluster today (replacing the (9) 3 watt light bulbs and cleaning the glass windows), I noticed the bulb holders that are used on the idiot lights (LH cluster) are different than those seen on a 74 (see Keith Kreeger's great dash cluster rehab http://www.my2002tii.com/how_to_dash_gauges.htm).

The 74+ cars seem to have a grey-colored bulb holder whereas the 73 cars use a black-colored holder with tab.

Photobucket

The tachometer cluster lamp holders seem to be identical to the 74 units (74+ has the different front panel with the "cross").

Photobucket

I see a PO added some new wiring to the cluster

Photobucket

My cluster interior was painted white by the PO, so I only had to clean up the glass lenses and replace the (9) 3 Watt bulbs.

Photobucket

When re-attaching the speedometer section, make sure the tripmeter re-set knob engages with the shaft before buttoning up the assembly.

Photobucket

BTW: The screws holding the (3) gauges to the housing are 6 mm.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Jim -

The early clusters have different bulb holders than the late clusters. However - the later bulb holders work in the earlier clusters. I found some missing bulbs in my cluster when I pulled it and was able to source the later bulb holders as replacement.

Looks nice - keep up the refurb.

Here's mine:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,302277/highlight,/

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

Ken - somehow I missed your cluster upgrade from last year. Nice work! I wonder why BMW changed the design of the holders. The 74+ units look pretty cheap. Maybe they used lighter-weight holders to help offset the body weight gains ;-).

Jim Gerock

Jim -

Just went out to the garage to look. The ones for my '73 are a two piece deal with a spring inside. The "later" ones are a one piece deal that just twist into place.

I would take a pic, but it turns out I'm the only living being in the house that knows how to recharge the camera battery. Go figure....

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

CD will chime in and say to buy new stock bulbs first, and check your charging system, grounds and valve clearances.

;-)

And then there's...

911dark1small.jpg

http://www.nhspeedometer.com/911/custom_coloring/1.htm

Cheers,

Ray

Can you get higher wattage bulbs to get more light? If so any one have a source?

dlm lost in space

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

........absolutely !!! brighter FUC$%$##$%&%$#@k! bulbs indeed

the whole porpose to the cleaning, white painting, lens cleaning

new STOCK BMW bulbs, maybe a new headlight switch

with a working reostat will be bright enough.

this led generation drives me nutts

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

No need to get your pants in a bind CD. I did use stock 3 watt bulbs in my cluster. While "in there", I removed the headlight switch and cleaned the reostat (aka potentiometer) at the back end for the dash brightness control because it was acting weird when I rotated the knob, causing the dash lights to flicker and not be very bright until the very last portion of the knob. I may put a dab of Bosch distributor grease on the little coil windings before re-installing the cluster.

........absolutely !!! brighter FUC$%$##$%&%$#@k! bulbs indeed

the whole porpose to the cleaning, white painting, lens cleaning

new STOCK BMW bulbs, maybe a new headlight switch

with a working reostat will be bright enough.

this led generation drives me nutts

Jim Gerock

While we're here I wanted to point out a difference between the tii cluster and the regular '02 cluster that's seldom mentioned.

Look at the first picture, just to the right of the bulb holder and below the circular electrical connection........there's nothing there.

Now look at Keith's picture and you'll notice a male electrical connection in the same location. IIRC it supplies something to the clock.

I learned the hard way after combining parts from different clusters, cleaning it up and putting it back together, and trying to install it.

Craig74tii

1978 Black Trans Am

Mercedes Benz 300CD, 300TD

Jeep Grand Wagoneers

While we're here I wanted to point out a difference between the tii cluster and the regular '02 cluster that's seldom mentioned.

Look at the first picture, just to the right of the bulb holder and below the circular electrical connection........there's nothing there.

Now look at Keith's picture and you'll notice a male electrical connection in the same location. IIRC it supplies something to the clock.

I learned the hard way after combining parts from different clusters, cleaning it up and putting it back together, and trying to install it.

I remember the earlier discussion

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/p,614942/highlight,/#614942

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Craig, do you mean the white curved three-prong connector just above the multi-pin socket?

Viewing the thread in Les' reply, it appears the pins are there but just have a black plug installed. You might only have to add the harness and connector to add a clock to a standard 2002.

Photobucket

Here is the 3-pin connector harness. You can see the end laying under the wiper speed switch. I believe the single connector in the foreground is the signal for the tachometer.

Photobucket

Jim Gerock

Here is the detail of the multi-pin and 3-pin tracers on the hidden side of the left-hand cluster. You can see the solder points, but not the printed circuits too clearly because they are white. Note the vertical shaft in the front. When the tiny black button is pushed from the front, it completes the power circuit to the bulb (just to the left in my picture) and the red "BRAKE FAILURE" lamp illuminates.

Photobucket

I should also add a note that is mentioned in Keith's dash refurb article. He used a pre-74 cluster housing instead of the woodgrain 74 that came in his car, so the one in the article has the red "BRAKE FAILURE" lens.

Jim Gerock