• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Van stolen 35 years ago in Wash. state recovered . . .

f1reverb

Full story at the link . . .

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_recovered_van

"Van stolen 35 years ago in Wash. state recovered

Fri Nov 6, 4:03 pm ET

SPOKANE, Wash. – A Volkswagen van stolen 35 years ago in Washington state has been found in a shipping container at the Los Angeles/Long Beach seaport.

Customs agents found the 1965 van on Oct. 19 when they opened a shipping container bound for The Netherlands, The Spokesman-Review newspaper reported. They ran the vehicle identification number and discovered it was listed as stolen.

Law officers said the van, which is in great shape, was stolen from an upholstery shop in Spokane on July 12, 1974 — while Spokane was hosting the 1974 World's Fair.

Authorities have not been able to find the original owner, whom they would not identify." . . .

capt.9057be852df2491e897e53187f168868.re

with the gold stripe, which was not mine, but a guy in my van club back in 1969. His transporter was perfect with a turbo Corvair engine, and done to aircraft quality. The owner, he was 16 then but was an aircraft freak, later became a Gulfstream pilot. My "hugger orange" was a '61 with a stock 40hp engine and full syncro trannie. I blew reduction-gear bearings all the time with my Ford-adapter 16x8.5" US Indy Mags on the rear, with 15x7 on the front. Tires were Firestone Super Sports GP formula 1 intermediate tires, which were cheap used at Parnelli Jones Racing in Torrance. Later I relined all four tires in orange and made them say "Firestoned." My flares weren't as nice as Tom Neal's. Notice the spray-on gold spider-webbing I sprayed on my side airscoops.