• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"BRAKE" light in cluster stuck on.

ClayW

On square light cars it is also connected to a switch at the parking brake. These switches are adjustable......

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Just a guess, but lift the handbrake boot and check the switch there. Wiggle it around and see if the light goes out/on. If so, adjust it so it's on only when the handbrake is applied.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

..... and also look at the low pressure warning

sensor - re-set button

look straight down inside the inner fender,

below the master cylinder, at the brake pipe

intersection - there is a pressure warning switch,

and a tiny plastic reset button possibly sticking out(it's very tiny and hard to see - only about 2 - 4 mm) and may be covered by wiring harness,

or DIRT.

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

BTDT ... its the stupid "low pressure" warning thing. Mine popped on years ago while going down a really steep hill late at night (no joke).

You will need a small flat tip to reset. I recall it being very small.

I'm ditching this thing during my conversion to all Tii brake stuff (I had a parts car awhile back... so why not).

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net

Although the brake warning light comes on in both our '75 and '76 if A) the brake fluid is low, or B) if the emergency brake is on, it has never come on in either of our cars when the gas was low. At least once in each we've run out of gas, and no red brake light came on.

Bob Napier

Although the brake warning light comes on in both our '75 and '76 if A) the brake fluid is low, or B) if the emergency brake is on, it has never come on in either of our cars when the gas was low. At least once in each we've run out of gas, and no red brake light came on.

Bob Napier

I think that that only works in European cars.

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog