• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB:240 5-Speed transmission. 2-piece with mechanicel speedo

akfjord

Looking for a Getrag 240 5-Speed transmission... the one with 2-piece case and mechanical speedo. Should be from a late year 1983 E21 320i.

I've got one one in my car now and the bearing noise has been getting louder. Since driveshaft and shift platform are already shortened... I'm sticking with it.

Anyone got one that they know is in good shape... with no getrag rattle at idle:)

Thanks.

Howdy, akfjord:

I'm looking to install a 240, myself. Do you happen to have any hints for the driveshaft shortening or realted work?

the various kits available via Aardvark seem pricey, but let me know if you went that route when time allows, please.

thanks in advance,

Ben

“My fan mail is enormous. Everyone is under six.” —Alexander Calder

Ben — ('74 rebuild in primer)

Actually just found one local.

I brought the driveshaft to a driveshaft shop with the final measurements to and had it shortened and balanced.

A local shop did the install... including shortening the shift platform. Let me know if you need me to take any measurements or pics of the shortened shift platform or drive-shaft that might help you out... Alex