• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front Ball Joint - Need to Replace?

cxzsaq

If your car has 150k and has the original riveted ball joints, hell yes absolutely yes my word YES YES YES replace them. You ever see the aftermath where one of these has let go on a car driven at speed? Not for the squeamish.

Search this forum for tricks on getting the rivets out (chisel versus drilling, etc).

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

If your car has 150k and has the original riveted ball joints, hell yes absolutely yes my word YES YES YES replace them. You ever see the aftermath where one of these has let go on a car driven at speed? Not for the squeamish.

Search this forum for tricks on getting the rivets out (chisel versus drilling, etc).

great. thank you all.

Ditto, Ditto, Ditto. It is pretty scary when they let go while you are driving. This was at about 10 MPH fortunately.(roughly 150K on them) Still had to change my shorts after that sudden halt as the tire tucked up under the fender.

brokenballjoint001.jpg

brokenballjoint005.jpg

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

Ditto, Ditto, Ditto. It is pretty scary when they let go while you are driving. This was at about 10 MPH fortunately.(roughly 150K on them) Still had to change my shorts after that sudden halt as the tire tucked up under the fender.

brokenballjoint001.jpg

brokenballjoint005.jpg

wow. thank you for that eye opener.

I got to 225K on my originals, and just changed them out because I noticed the boots were cracked. They looked like the hip joint on that skeleton hanging up front of the class in high school biology, only drier. If the ball joints have never been replaced at 150K , look EVERYTHING over. For safety sake, these should be a scheduled maintenance item IMHO, say every 100K? So buy 6 or 8 and you will be set.