• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If I can't get a new car - work on the old one?

Kidasters

My wife and I have a deal. I don't get a new car every five years, and she doesn't divorce me.

In May of 06, I purchased a CPO 2004 E46 330i w/ the sport package in Titanium Silver. I call it "Smith" because, like the name Smith in the phonebook, there are about 100,000 of them driving around Houston. For the last three years it has been a pretty trouble free car (which is orders of magnitude above the '89 964 911 it replaced). But - coming up on year 4, and I'm getting new car fever.

My wife is right - buying a new car (Especally what I would want - an F10 M5) is a bad idea. They cost so much. They depreciate. I want to retire someday.....

So - I'm thinking about doing some add on's to the E46, and I'm looking for opinions.

Here's the short list:

UUC/TSE3 exhaust

UUC short shift kit

New wheels - probably something like this

mesh_black.jpg

which is a beyern (easy to get at places like Bavarian Autosport).

And - finally - I'm thinking about getting an ESS twin screw supercharger.

http://www.esstuning.com/default.asp?c=shop&cat=93&subcat=101&subcat2=114&id=

That bumps the HP up to about 325 (from 225), and torque to 410 (up from 300) - which should make it drive like a new car.

What do you guys think?

Ken

post-2706-13667615448371_thumb.jpg

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

do you really like the car? as in really really like it?

the add on's will make the car look better and go faster, but you will never recover their cost when you sell the car someday.

if you really do like the car, go for it and post some pics!

72 2002tii

1988 535is 

Not really answering your question here, but I've always wondered why people buy cars that they get sick of every few years. It's kind of hard to explain, but I love cars, and when I purchase a car, I pick one that is timeless and will be cooler the older it gets. I never have trouble finding that car either. I've owned an M Coupe, 2002, and even an e30 325is - all of which I could own for the rest of my life. Anyway, I wish I could impart some wisdom on you regarding how to end up a car you're into like this, but I can't really explain it. Part of it has to do with not limiting yourself to new cars just because they have warranties. Anyway, back to the topic.

Michael Rose

'91 Porsche 964
'00 Dodge Durango
'13 Honda Pilot

I think you can find better wheels :) Also, upgraded wheels usually look silly on cars with stock suspensions, especially if you upsize. So add in the cost of at least springs and shocks.

if you're prepared to spend the money on a twinscrew, you should just convince the wifey to let you trade up to a nice used car. Whatever you could get for your car, plus the twinscrew money, plus install costs (or were you going to DIY that?) could probably get you a pretty nice condition e46 m3.

I'm in the boat as the above reply, I don't want to take the depriciation hit on a new car, and am not overly concerned about warranties. But I understand the desire, I think my girlfriend has the same bug. She has 25k miles on her jeep and is thinking about an Audi (not sure how I feel about that haha)

David

Flickr

'74 2002 - The project

'98 M3

'04 Duramax 2500HD

Ken -

IMO - the E46 3-series is the best-looking one (especially the Coupe and M3). I would not install those wheels, but keep your car like it is.

Spend a little, get a lot:

UUC Shifter upgrade

Different exhaust system (uncharted territory for me)

Is your cooling system up to snuff?

I'm jealous of your ride "as is".

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I like the car. I don't know if I really really like the car. I loved my 911, but it broke down so much it broke my heart.

I'm really not worried about recovering cost. I'm worried about recovering passion.

There is a BBS wheel I'd really like to get - but 1200 a wheel is crazy....

I can give a 99% certainty of the short shift kit and exhaust happening. The supercharger - I'm on the fence.....

Finally - I had a buddy with an E36M3. I still think the E46 is prettier. And the E90/E92 looks like a Lexus, inside and out.

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

-- My wife.

Ken - we think alike..

BBS wheels are very nice - maybe you could find someone that already has a set they want to part with. I wouldn't go with anything larger than 18" (17" is big enough to me if you have rough roads). Years ago, I recall some dealerships kept "new car takeoffs" when folks wanted to upgrade their wheels at time of purchase.

Just a thought: try backing your car into the garage so you get a different perspective on it each time you look at it. This may be all it takes to rekindle your "passion" for the car. Or maybe being a passenger a few times to see what its like from the other side of the car.

Jim Gerock

Remember - it's crowded in there - with Mama's R50 Cooper, my 2002 and the Innocenti.

Here are the BBS wheels I liked:

bbs_lmr_dbml_ci3_l.jpg

A buddy of mine is way into AC Schnitzer wheels, and he has me considering these:

type33piece.jpg

Which - I have to admit - are pretty dang cool - except for the cost.

Again - I think the wheels, shifter and exhaust are probably going to happen. The supercharger is a major deal - both in work and in cost. That may wait.

Ken

post-2706-1366761560966_thumb.jpg

FAQ Member # 2616

-- My wife.

id do those BBS. the thing about expensive quality wheels is if you dont curb them and take good care of them you wont lose a ton of dough on them if you buy the right ones. those beyerns you will lose money on.. the BBS not so much. not too long ago i had 44 wheels and tires in my garage. granted i had several sets of winter and summer tires but im a wheel whore and i never seem to lose money on them

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

• 3 months later...
Well - I bit the bullet today and put an order in to UUC --

Short Shift Kit

Corsa Exhaust

AFE cold air intake

This will spruce up the E46 quite nicely.....

Ken

Interesting! Bet the "Deuce" will be jealous.

Jim Gerock