• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LED Gauge Lights

ClayW

I know that it has been discussed a few times, but I thought that I would offer a side-by-side comparison of LED dash lights vs. the stock bulbs.

Stock Bulbs:

LEDLights005.jpg

LED Bulbs (WLED-x6 (194 type) Wedge Base):

LEDLights008.jpg

I also replaced my license plate lights. The LED bulb (3022-W9 bulbs) is on the right and the stock is on the left. It's a little bright, but I don't mind. In retrospect, the 3022-W4 bulbs would have probably been fine.

LEDLights003.jpg

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

How many bulbs are in the dash cluster??

There are only four that actually light the gauges. The other five are for the momentary, colored lights (low oil pressure, low alternator current, turn signal indicator, high-beam indicator and "Brake"). I left those with the normal, 3W stock bulbs because LEDs would be overkill.

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

just curious if you had already changed any of your electrical first before adding leds to your gauge lights. I attempted to put leds in my running lights but the voltage difference affected the rest of the system. Im going to eventually swap over to an electronic flasher/relay to solve the problem.

'76 02 (Nellie) daily driver since '94

'76 02 (Oscar) sunroof restore since '10

Just wondering if they're too bright while driving, can you dim them by turning the headlight switch like the traditional bulbs?

Also, I'm assuming these don't put off any heat?

LEDs put off little to no heat. They do dim like the old bulbs, but not in the range that the stock bulbs did. At full power, they are not too bright. The images that I posted are at full brightness.

• Like 1

ClayW