• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centre link/rod mystery

02Les

So I got this thing on Ebay several years ago. I now come to fit it to my Blue project car and note that one end is off to the other. It is (or was) new so I guess it's a manufacture error.

Anyone know if heating the tube carefully will allow one end to be turned slightly to put both ends in alignment, before it cools back down?

I've ordered another, so I could experiment.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

What happens if you move the ends into alignment tie-rod style? Are they just pushed around a little after years of some guy climbing over them to get at something in the garage? Similar to an e34 part I was wondering about recently. Just a bit of a tweak and my faulty part was perfect.

Ahlem

'76 2002

'90 M3

'90 535i 5 speed

'89 325is '91 318is

'87 325is

What happens if you move the ends into alignment tie-rod style? Are they just pushed around a little after years of some guy climbing over them to get at something in the garage? Similar to an e34 part I was wondering about recently. Just a bit of a tweak and my faulty part was perfect.

Are the tapered ends supposed to swivel (ball joint style) around? I can't move them by hand, and I would think they should be "fixed".

It's not just the tapers that are not aligned, but also the "eyes" for the tie rod connections (difficult to make out in my pic). The tube appears to have been swaged to each end, so i'm not sure if can be tweaked without making the joint loose. I guess the tube could be cut and a socket weld coupling inserted; remembering to keep the taper end to taper end distance correct.

As I mentioned before, I have another coming, so maybe i'll play with this if I have any energy left after rehabbing the '02s front end.

Les

FAQ Member #17

I'd wait until the other one shows up and compare. I'd probably avoid real odd modifications to the part. If you clamp one end in a vise and heat the center section and twist it into alignment with a big pipe wrench you will probably serve your purpose. If you put some 12" long tubing sections over the bolts, the angle you are shooting for will be more apparent.

Ahlem

'76 2002

'90 M3

'90 535i 5 speed

'89 325is '91 318is

'87 325is

Well teh eyes should not be a problem because the outer tierods swivel. The thing is that when heating and twisting the rod you may throw the alignment out in terms of the tapered shaft being parallel when looking at the rod from the front (?) How can I put this? the tapered bits have to be parallel not only when looking from the side (wheel well) but also when looking from the front (nose of the car.) Not sure that cleared anything up but anyway the way I would consider doing it is to bolt it loosely into the car (or preferably a spare subframe assembly) then heat it red hot in about an inch wide spot in the middle. While its still red tighten down the nuts and let that put everything straight.

Then after all that I'd probably still use the new one.....

Just hammer the damn thing into place and wail on it with 1/2 inch drive air impact and a bunch of extensions (one should be a wobble drive for proper effect)

I mean, it's only steering.

Next beer and game of darts is on me.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

Just hammer the damn thing into place and wail on it with 1/2 inch drive air impact and a bunch of extensions (one should be a wobble drive for proper effect)

I mean, it's only steering.

Next beer and game of darts is on me.

John

I knew you'd come to my aid John.

The intention was to change out springs & struts. The job just mushroomed!

Les

FAQ Member #17

No, both of those joints SHOULDN'T swivel!

And no, it won't go on the way it is... if it does, it won't last.

If I had it, I'd put one end in a vice (maybe grab the flat of the tie rod

socket) and grab the other with something

long and try twisting the center tube. As you note, they're not too far off,

and the ends are usually swaged on. I suspect the swaging will slip enough

to realign them.

If it doesn't, there's a good chance you'll be able to

twist the tube enough for what you need. Try to support the end you're

pulling on so that it doesn't bend in any other dimension... mostly.

Alignment's not nearly as critical in this bit as length is...

I wouldn't use heat- the tube will try to collapse where it's hot.

Go for it- it'll probably work.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL