• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Burglars are targeting BMW parts in West L.A.

f1reverb

Full story . . .

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-bmw-bandits18-2009nov18,0,1893717.story?track=rss

"Professional burglars working in the Westside and Mid-Wilshire areas have targeted more than 50 BMWs in recent months, making away with expensive auto parts but leaving behind cellphones and laptop computers.

Air bags that cost thousands of dollars to replace and high-end headlights are being carefully removed from BMW 3 Series and 5 Series models, according to the Los Angeles Police Department.

Det. Mike Smith, an expert on auto burglaries, said the LAPD's Wilshire Division has seen "close to 40 of these crimes" since April and the West Los Angeles Division has seen 14. "We believe this thief or thieves are getting into these vehicles in record time." . . .

""This is the first time I have heard about this and there hasn't been any discussion about it as far as I know," said Delight Lucas, president of Los Angeles chapter of the BMW Car Club of America. Members of the club tend to be especially protective of their vehicles, she said, so that may explain why they have not fallen victim to the crime spree." . . .