• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cosmic Wheels

Delia

...with apologies to Donovan.

Sam asked in an earlier thread about refinishing Cosmic Mk II wheels.

I had a set on my first 2002, a '69 (#1666747).

Anyway, I purchased a used set and had them redone by a professional wheel shop...bad idea. They removed too much metal from the face and I was left with no way of slipping the centercap retaining ring in place.

I sent them back and they "fixed" it, but I was quite unhappy about the overall result. BTW, I'm very fussy...ymmv...

Cosmic MkIIs have a black background and a machined face, so, all you need to do is strip whatever paint is on them, paint them black with Krylon, SEM, or anything that won't react with the finish clear coat (Krylon, again is just fine).

Once the black is on there, run the wheel on anything that goes around, tire balancer, brake rotor turning machine, lathe or even on the drive wheel of your car (on the jack, of course) and touch the flat surfaces with emery cloth. You needn't remove a lot of material, and the finish should have a slightly dull, "spun" aluminum look. The original aluminum and casting technique were of "questionable" quality, so don't expect a perfect result.

After you've removed the black paint from the flat surfaces and everything is clean and dry, spray the wheels with clear (Krylon or similar). Be certain to apply the final coat "wet" to provide a smooth final finish -- this'll make the wheels easier to clean. Let them dry for a few days before mounting your tires.

post-169-13667615857345_thumb.jpg

post-169-13667615858108_thumb.jpg

post-169-1366761585898_thumb.jpg

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

I always have liked the looks of those wheels. Are they 13x5 ?

5.5" x 13"

The white car is my first 2002 (#1666747) in a picture from 1972. It was taken in October of that year at the Ionia (MI) Fairgrounds. The Fall Speed and Feed was the last event of the season and featured a pig roast.

That particular year, there were two 2002s entered - mine and a Granada red '71 (sporting a set of GT wheels) owned by the Bap/Geon Foreign Car parts distributor from Lansing.

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com