• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Led Cluster Prototypes --Roundie Edition

slash02

OK, so I borrowed a round taillight from a friend, and here is a quick saturday morning whipup of the middle light (brake, or turn sig??)

The only thing I know about roundies is that the center part comes in either red or orange(yellow) right?

This is done with white LEDs (I will probably colour match in the future)

Thoughts, comments appreciated.

post-159-13667616110271_thumb.jpg

post-159-13667616112518_thumb.jpg

post-159-13667616116253_thumb.jpg

I highly encourage this...

nice work.

I assume you will do the other lights next...

The red that is towards the center of the car is the Brake Light and the red towards the outer perimeter of the car is the running light.

This guy is doing similar lights for old BMW motorcycles.

http://www.motoelekt.com/lighting.htm

-josh

1972 Malaga (according to DMV) 2002. (Manufactured in '71)

http://www.beemersandbits.com

'77 BMW R100S '73 BMW Cafe bike  1966 Triumph T100C  1966 R90/2 BMW Sidecar Rig  1956 MV Agusta Turismo Rapido

I highly encourage this...

nice work.

I assume you will do the other lights next...

The red that is towards the center of the car is the Brake Light and the red towards the outer perimeter of the car is the running light.

This guy is doing similar lights for old BMW motorcycles.

http://www.motoelekt.com/lighting.htm

-josh

Thanks. Embarrasing that a guy who's 30 and had a 2002 since age 17 doesn't know that, but my 02s always have been square tailed.

This is great...I've been thinking about how nice it would be to fabricate individual panels of LEDs for each lighting component and one for the center turnsingnal. I'd encourage you to keep experimenting, sell a few prototypes and gather feedback. Then, get yourself a website and maybe eventually quit your dayjob. Good luck and keep us posted.

Ben

--> 1968 2002 <--

This is great...I've been thinking about how nice it would be to fabricate individual panels of LEDs for each lighting component and one for the center turnsingnal. I'd encourage you to keep experimenting, sell a few prototypes and gather feedback. Then, get yourself a website and maybe eventually quit your dayjob. Good luck and keep us posted.

Ben

Thanks for the encouragement. That's basically the plan :)

Looking great so far man...

But are they brighter than the stock ones? I dont have any pics of the rear turn signal flashing (during the day), and the ones I have at night make them look about 10,000 times brighter than they actually are.

Do you think that you could email me with some basics on what your doing ( ie getting the boards sized right, wiring the bulbs) ... I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to learn about this type of thing, so I can do it myself, since Im sure I wont be able to afford these once you have them perfected! (college budget) lol

Thanks!

-Zac

Zac Cardinal

1972 2002tii's Blog

1976 2002 "Margie"s blog

IMG_2146copy.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
How are these turning out? Any progress?

If you don't mind sharing your methods, i'd love to take a stab at it as well.

-Josh

For sure, All I actually did was get some decent card stock and cut/trim it to fit the area around the light bulb on the taillights. I then transferred that to breadboard and soldered the LEDs in.

I'll try find some pics and post them soon.

I still haven't come up with voltage regulation and stuff. Need to order more leds actually.