• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WANTED Early Lotus Elan

Guest Anonymous

Any early Lotus Elans that anyone wants to part with?

Here's a nice one:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/1481204569.html

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

I own a 1969 S4 so not an early Elan. My question is why you want an early car? Because you don't like the fixed window frames???? The later S4 and Sprint cars I consider the best being they have the slightly larger fender clearances and can run wider tires besides the sprint has the "big valve" twincam. Gotta love those pin drive wheels too!

I'd say what you should be looking for is a S4 with weber head, like what I own....

Mine could be for sale depending upon your offering price. think mid 20's and I may let it go but it'll be a hard car to pry from my hands... .Elans are that good! Best car I own.... fun and light!

WH

Guest Anonymous

I just ment not a front drive 90's Elan. Your car sounds great! Would like to find an Elan that was sitting in a garage forever and bring it back to life!I live in Ma. and there doesn't seem to be any Elans around here.

Guest Anonymous

I just meant not a front drive 90's Elan. Your car sounds great! Would like to find an Elan that was sitting in a garage forever and bring it back to life!I live in Ma. and there doesn't seem to be any Elans around here.

Guest Anonymous

I just meant not a front drive 90's Elan. Your car sounds great! Would like to find an Elan that was sitting in a garage forever and bring it back to life!I live in Ma. and there doesn't seem to be any Elans around here.

There aren't too many early Elan's for sale in not running condition anywhere! If you do find one for sale, they're typically are not worth the asking price. It's not inexpensive to restore an Elan and you're better off finding a nice running and driving car with good cosmetics for a reasonable price than restoring one. Remember to rebuild a twincam engine can cost $10,000 to do it right if you want a good high hp engine, or $5K+ for a stock rebuild. Much more expensive than your typical BMW 2002 M10.

You should be able to find an Elan for under $22,000 right now. A year + ago they were high 20K to low $30,000 for a good car. Buying a rough one for $6-$10K is not worth it.... and no you're not going to find one for $500 under a tarp anywhere..... those days are long gone. Remember they only built 14,000 of these cars nearly 40 years ago, they are becoming quite hard to find in any condition. I looked for mine for nearly 5 years before I found one I could afford that was worth the asking price. I'm a happy camper! It's my favorite car now.... and I own some very nice euro BMW's, several Alpina's, a Ferrari, a real AC Cobra and other Britsh cars.

WH

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the info. Would like to see some pics or maybe a phone number so i could bounce some Elans that i found off you. I used to own an Alpina B7turbo that I never should have sold. What Alpinas do you own? Darren