• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Ball-Pin" removal and reinstallation

PeterVarga

When I swap my trans this weekend, I'll have to remove the release bearing lever support (aka 'Ball-Pin'). It doesn't look like it has threads in the drawings. What is the best method to remove this from the old trans and install in the replacement. It is #7 on drawing 23/2 and has a part no. of 21 51 1 202 467. Thanks.....

Edit1: Let me add that this pin is missing from the replacement tranny. The one thats getting pulled has it in it. I was told to remove it from the one that getting removed and install it in the rebuilt one before I reinsall it. It looks like it is a pin in a hole with friction fit but I won't know until I remove it. I could buy a new one but they're $75 bucks!

Edit2: If there isn't a better method, I'll just remove the bell housing from the original transmission and mount it with the pin on the replacement. QED.

I have removed and replaced my trans about 4 times and have never touched that part you are referring to. Just the 7 bolts that mount it to the block and starter and its out. (assuming the drive shaft and shift linkage has been removed of course)

69 2002 1668997 "Geboren ein Hölle"

Shhhhhh... Another Whispering Bomb!!

Final final on that is that they pulled the old swicheroo.....Bought the transmission on EBay last March. Noticed the pin missing. Sitting it must have gotten swapped! I took it to the garage this morning and the pin was in it. Also noticed that it didn't have a bell housing that could be removed without the rest of the gear box. And, the pin is mounted in the end plate of the gearbox next to the bearings. Hotting up the surrounds of the pin might probably destroy the bearing. Have to do it while building the trans with the bearings out of the case. Learned somthing!