• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Creepy car shopping experience

Ray_73Turkis_OH

I have been looking at 318ti.

Saw this in in the list today (Sunday)

http://dayton.craigslist.org/cto/1486398227.html

Call the guy. get this story. ""Dad purchased new. changed timing belt and water pump at 116k. Orignal clutch and tranny. Have a blessed day""

All a bunch of BS!!

I go see the car.

It is the same car I looked at earlier in the week on Wednesday..

Story from other owner (college kid), blew a belt, overheated, dad paid for head gasket fix, need to sell to pay dad back. I got number of mechanic and he confirms story and says he did the head, which I believe because it was a quiet as a sewing machine. This I fully believed.

As I am walking up to the car this mornig I see the exact same rust spot, chrome gear knob, stereo, interrior, (now vacumed)., missing headliner for sun roof etc.

The upsetting thing was how much I beleived the original owner story over the phone. I wonder what would have happend when I asked about any documentation.

The scammer guy this morning walks out of the house asks if I want to drive it. I say I drove it last week. He says no you didn't, do you want to drive it. I say that I already did drive this car. He continues to try to sell me on it. I say no thanks and walk away.

Ray,  Current BMWs, 1973 BMW 2002, Turkis, and 1997 BMW 318i 5sp avus blue.  Drove a lot and sold over the years, in reverse chron.

1997 m3 coupe silver, 1998 318ti red, 1996 318ti red,

1973 2002 Agave, 1971 2002  GM brown

Have a blessed day

I'm always disappointed when the add drags religion into it, and then you find that the car is misrepresented.

Those cars don't have timing belts.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

I am confused by the sequence of events. Was the same car being sold by two different people, or from two different locations?

It's probably like what happened with my old Dodge in Hawaii. I fairly represented my car and all its 'problems.' It wasn't a reliable car meant for a non-mechanic. You had to keep up with little things, the alternator bracket wasn't straight, the fuel pump was prone to failure, needed to find a sketchy inspector to get vehicle inspection due to lack of a roof and windows, etc. The car was rock solid for most purposes, but I felt obligated to list all prior work and conditions. I sold it for $200 ($100 less than I asked) to a couple guys and got rid of the thing. I had the 2002 at the time and just didn't want to pay the registration and insurance on the Dodge.

The next week i see an ad on Craigslist for my same car, with the price jacked to $500, with the description of it being completely reliable with no issues, and the guy had only been driving it to the north shore on Sundays for surfing for months. Well, he hadn't even had it for 1 Sunday yet to do that.

So anyways, its just an honest seller that someone picks up a car from, then jacks the price and sells it dishonestly for a profit, and no work.

At least thats my thought... I always assume a seller is lying, and only buy a vehicle based onw hat I can see or hear.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

A common scam up here is to pay a young man, woman or couple to list a car as a "private sale" in the ads. That way, the car has an apparent residential location. When pressed for specific information though, such as viewing the service history, it often becomes clear that the seller is a third party. It's a quick, lucrative way for scammers to unload cars with suspect histories because most people are so trusting.

Never let school get in the way of your education!

SiteNamecopy.jpg