• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fjord on eBay hits 20K

toddw

O2Les, are your pictures meant to be funny? If that is not the same car, you are being very slanderous to the sale. Unfair to the seller and also to the new buyer. So I ask again, are your pictures of the 2002tii the same as the car being offered on ebay? If not, I would edit and delete your post. If they are the same, well, buyer beware.

Norm

The car in my post was Ebayed and noted (in the ad) as VIN 2761950.

Unless there was a VIN typo in the orig ad (or the latest), then its the same car. Mileage stated in Nov '07 was 176k.

Edit: found another pic - the VIN plate from the orig Ebay ad.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd still say WOW, beautiful car, a lot of work, and money went into taking it to its present state, probably a lot more than 20k.

This reminds me when I dated the most beautiful Vietnamese girl in college, one day she said to me: Michael my beauty is not natural, I would have never known, there was not one single hint of human intervention, I said WOW, it didn't change a thing... and I kept on driving... I still had the most beautiful Vietnamese girl in college. LOL

FAQ Member # 91

I'd still say WOW, beautiful car, a lot of work, and money went into taking it to its present state, probably a lot more than 20k.

This reminds me when I dated the most beautiful Vietnamese girl in college, one day she said to me: Michael my beauty is not natural, I would have never known, there was not one single hint of human intervention, I said WOW, it didn't change a thing... and I kept on driving... I still had the most beautiful Vietnamese girl in college. LOL

you cant just come here and not elaborate what the altered part was MR Dubois... How bad was her mustache?

Happy Monday gents..

hamada

70Bristol02 E36M3 E34535im

I'd still say WOW, beautiful car, a lot of work, and money went into taking it to its present state, probably a lot more than 20k

I totally agree. I posted the "orig" pics to show what work had been put into it. Assuming quality work was done, then the final price is well worth it. The Seller may or may not have known its pedigree.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

I thought about this tii a lot over the auction period I loved the car and what appeared to be a nice restoration minus the seats, no ac, no radio, and the carpet.

Saved another one - bullshit.

NOW... It reminds me of salvage / flood car fixed up...I completely understand why it's on eBay. The seller mentioned the PO restored the vehicle. I think he must of found out car had a negative past and didn't want it. It would be like finding out your girlfriend or wife used to be a whore that banged dudes to buy crack.

I don't understand why seller picked a base that was peviously wrecked to start with. I understand needing some body work but damn...I would never put big money into a car that was hit that bad. It probably had a salvage title in Oregon that was forgotten about when transferred to CA.

Lesson Learned: Buyer beweare of restorations without before pictures.

That is a beautiful car and -- like many of the beautiful 2002s out there -- has come back from a storied past. A buyer should beware of any used car purchase and Les's pictures don't make this car any worse. Did we really think it has been in great condition its whole 35+ years of life?

Later blue plates were also available with 7 spaces.

My CSL had 7 digit original blue plates.

CSL027.jpg

now: '72 Inka 2000 touring, '82 Alpina C1 2.3  & '18 328d wagon (daily driver)

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

Alpina restoration blog: https://www.alpinac1.com/

well while we are at it Dubois you might as well post some before and after pics... (LOL).

as to the tii... I don't really know the ethics of it all or how the collector value issues are affected by a car that had been hit that bad, but I am totally impressed at the restoration. Its great to think a car can be restored that well from such rocky beginnings. Now I suppose if it was a flood car that would be a bit scary, I wonder if it was totally dipped for rust. I am of course I am a bit biased as my car was fjord blue and its just amazing to see what color should really look like!

'76 02 (Nellie) daily driver since '94

'76 02 (Oscar) sunroof restore since '10

I thought about this tii a lot over the auction period I loved the car and what appeared to be a nice restoration minus the seats, no ac, no radio, and the carpet.

NOW... It reminds me of salvage / flood car fixed up...I completely understand why it's on eBay. The seller mentioned the PO restored the vehicle. I think he must of found out car had a negative past and didn't want it. It would be like finding out your girlfriend or wife used to be a whore that banged dudes to buy crack.

I don't understand why seller picked a base that was peviously wrecked to start with. I understand needing some body work but damn...I would never put big money into a car that was hit that bad. It probably had a salvage title in Oregon that was forgotten about when transferred to CA.

Lesson Learned: Buyer beweare of restorations without before pictures.

That is a beautiful car and -- like many of the beautiful 2002s out there -- has come back from a storied past. A buyer should beware of any used car purchase and Les's pictures don't make this car any worse. Did we really think it has been in great condition its whole 35+ years of life?

Later blue plates were also available with 7 spaces.

My CSL had 7 digit original blue plates.

CSL027.jpg

Those plates with 7 characters started being issued in 1980. CSL's were never sold here new so that's not really an original plate. It was most likely issued when it came into the state. Personalized plates are transferable as long as you have both plates.

http://www.calpl8s.com/california/passenger.html?pg=2

That rear end probably wasn't hit that hard. The chrome bumpers do very little. Am I correct Mr. Dubois?

I'm pretty sure the seller has more than 20K into that car. I feel the pain of restoring a Roundie.

That is the correct carpet and my '72 came without a radio. I know because I have the original window sticker.

Looks nice though.

Craig74tii

1978 Black Trans Am

Mercedes Benz 300CD, 300TD

Jeep Grand Wagoneers

You really think it would've been better off crushed?

My statement reflects the fact that there alot of classic cars that were wrecked at some point. Some can be saved as there are new replacement panels available. This car did'nt suffer much damage at all. I've seen worse.

FYI, that carpet color was original with that color interior. As for the radio, these cars were available WITHOUT the radio. What's wrong with the seats?

As I see it now, someone bought this car and will have a nice driver. I've not seen the repairs to the rear panel/sheetmetal firsthand, but done properly, the repair will not diminish the structural ridgidity of the chassis.

I think it was bought well.

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

Did you notice that there is one important picture missing?? There are two of almost every exterior shot, both drivers and passenger sides, but one; the just below eye level rear three quarter drivers side view... the picture that would show the spot with the most repair work.

There is one from way above eye level, looking down and in bad light, that does not show this panel clearly.

Also, I see no receipts for the engine work?? It reads something about 'previous owner' having engine redone... after seeing what friends have gone through with similar scenarios, I will not buy a car without papers.

To me the work done to this car is nice, and if the engine is new, it was bought and sold for a fair price.

Hell, I am almost the same age and probably look worse than the car did a few years ago!

You really think it would've been better off crushed?

quote]

Hi Cris,

In my opinion, the Fjord is still tarnished. It was the wrong car to use for money spent. I would not have dumped that kind of money into a car knowing it's "pedigree"- Les's word. We still don't know if car has a salvage title?

To answer your quesiton, I would have parted car out and found a better base with a clear title in all states before investing in project. Someone will always know it was a piece of shit before the restoration. It took Les under five minutes. Most importantly I don't think the new owner has any idea.

For Example: 2002 AD has a beautiful polaris restored in 1996 for 21K. If you do your homework, car had a salvage title in Califironia sold to someone in VA and it now has a clear title.

How do you know it had a salvage title? I don't see a VIN to even look it up.

It was on craigslist only two to three hours away from me. I was very close to submitting a cash offer and backed out when I read 2002 ad's restoration page. "This is a '73 2002tii that had a major front-end collision and was actually totalled by the insurance company. We completely repaired the damage while restoring the car for the new owner in Virginia, who bought it from us as a project." I contacted 2002ad and Ben was very nice / honest and said it's a good car but it did have a salvage title in CA. It makes you wonder why VA would let that slide.

This reminds me of my dad's Lotus Elan. He bought it in 1985, and has been driving it ever since. About a year ago he stumbled upon somebody who recognized the car, and knew the original owner. With the original owner contacted, my dad got pics of the car in it's youth. By 1971, the car was totaled, and yes, it was a rollover. The pictures show the whole front of the car smashed as well as the windshield. The owner spent about 6 months repairing it and drove it then sold it. The car still drives today!

That rear end damage is nothing to whine about. Very pretty car.

'68 Caribe 1600-1563167

At some point people won't be able to just pick up another shell, you can't crush them all. Replacement panels can still be had and what does a salvage title really tell you anyways? I've seen cars that were stolen that had the door locks and ignition screwed up so they are pronounced salvage, does that really make a car unusable? The pictures show pretty bad damage but a good body shop can work wonders on a car, definitely a talent I will never posses.

-John

76 Verona 2002

74 Sahara 2002

HAHA this is classic Mr. Dubois................I am starting to understand

Julio

'69 2002 (M2 for 2012) daily driver

'71 911 T (2.4s) powered Weekend joyride

'67 VW Crew Cab Turbo truck parts hauler

--------------------------------------------------

www.eurovintageparts.com