• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fjord on eBay hits 20K

toddw

CSL027.jpg

Those plates with 7 characters started being issued in 1980. CSL's were never sold here new so that's not really an original plate. It was most likely issued when it came into the state. Personalized plates are transferable as long as you have both plates.

The CSL was imported in 1981 or 2 and those are the plates it got then. Clearly the tii in the auction did not have original blue plates as it was wearing out of state plates in Les's pics. Probably just painted the new cali plates to look original.

Regardless, the tii is beautiful and the prior damage wasn't that bad IMO. I've seen plenty of 02s with that much damage repaired with no issues. And much like Dubois's friend from college, I don't care if it had work done in the past just as long as it works fine now.....

now: '72 Inka 2000 touring, '82 Alpina C1 2.3  & '18 328d wagon (daily driver)

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

Alpina restoration blog: https://www.alpinac1.com/

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Later blue plates were also available with 7 spaces.

I have later blue plates (7 #s)from my Datsun 510 I transfered to many of my cars now on the 02.

Jb

post-2371-13667616575428_thumb.jpg

'69 2002 (M2 for 2012) daily driver

'71 911 T (2.4s) powered Weekend joyride

'67 VW Crew Cab Turbo truck parts hauler

--------------------------------------------------

www.eurovintageparts.com

you cant just come here and not elaborate what the altered part was MR Dubois... How bad was her mustache?

Happy Monday gents..

hamada

there were several altered parts, on the face and on the body, she could have been Miss Vietnam, and she was also very smart. To keep this posting car related, I may add, I helped her buy her first car, a Toyota Corolla 2 door hatchback, automatic, brown metallic. Her family was very rich in Vietnam, and she was being prepped for marriage (they escaped when Saigon fell), the more beautiful, the richer the groom she could attract, and the less her parents have to give to the groom's family, so a lot of money was invested on plastic surgery at the age of sixteen. She was a beautiful girl, and she probably still is, uhmmm I hope her husband is not reading this, I digress, the point is that there are some cars that are awesome, if they looked like shit before, well... can you still deny that today they look awesome??? If you don't buy that argument, then you should detest every car that was ever restored beyond factory standards, because by comparison they looked like shit before.

Oh, there was no facial hair, and... well...let's just not even go there. Needless to say, I was pretty happy with my date.

FAQ Member # 91

the point is that there are some cars that are awesome, if they looked like shit before, well... can you still deny that today they look awesome??? If you don't buy that argument, then you should detest every car that was ever restored beyond factory standards, because by comparison they looked like shit before.

A side of Mike D I've not seen. I like it!

Hope all is well- Cris

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

In my opinion, the Fjord is still tarnished

Huh. That's a 10mph hit, probably.

When one restores a car (I say one, because few of 'us' have ever done

so, it seems) one starts with the whole picture. Sure, that shell needed

some work, but from the small pictures, it looks complete and relatively

rust- free. The tail section on a 2002 is capable of withstanding a small

bird at 15 mph or less, then it starts to deform.

I'd bet that whatever hit that car was going less than 15mph.

With some careful, expert metalwork, there's not even any real reason

to replace panels- with the exception possibly of the seam

to the lower left rear fender, there's not a lot of distortion.

By the time one's done, it's as strong (or maybe just a bit stronger) than

original, and probably a lot straighter than the factory ever managed.

And certainly a lot more rust- resistant.

YES you should look at the inside of all the panels on a car, all the seams,

all the joins AND know how the factory did them. Often poorly. Then

make your own assessment. But 'repaired correctly' is seldom any worse

than 'original' and far, far better than 'original and rusty'.

Tarnish happens to silver. These things are made out of (rather thin and

rather springy) steel. They rust. They get hit. They were manufactured,

not 'created', 'forged' or 'minted'. They can be rebuilt. And improved.

(yes, they can be bodged, faked, done poorly and bs'd. As can anything.

Caveat Emptor

they're just cars.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL