• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

pick and pull know-how

bueller

hey folks. as i attempt to get into the 02 game/habit/addiction, i'm curious as to what defines a "pick and pull". having never been to one but passing several on the highway while commuting, i have some questions.

what services are usually offered? is there a standard of etiquette? (call ahead, ask what they have, etc)

thanks for the insight of your experience.

matt

FAQ member #4044

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's every man for himself. Bring a wagon with tools, pick a part you want and pull it off.

They don't know what they have.

That's it.

-keep an eye on your tools.

-when you park your car, don't leave anything valuble in sight

-drive a POS car/truck

-bring plastic to lay on while pulling undercar parts

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

Agreed on everything cj said. A couple more things I've picked up: 1. If you know what you want, check their pricelist (which is usually posted up front) before you go to the trouble of pulling it. 2. A cordless impact wrench is a great tool to bring if you've got one. 3. Be VERY careful getting anything out of vans as these seem to be the Porta Potty of choice for lazy bums at salvage yards.

Be VERY careful getting anything out of vans as these seem to be the Porta Potty of choice for lazy bums at salvage yards.

Thres gotta be a story here!

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

I'll add my two cents here:

1. Bring latex gloves even if you are not afraid of dirt and grease. There is often broken glass and sharp plastic pieces adrift.

2. I don't bring plastic to lay on, rather pull an old bit of trunk carpet from a car. There will be plenty to choose from.

3. I recommend the "Pick-N-Pull Sweep" as I call it. Not sure where you live, but from San Francisco I do: Richmond, Oakland, Fremont, South San Jose, North San Jose in one day. Pay once and get a stamp on your hand, you'll get into all the others for free, just show the stamp when you get there.

4. Bring your own tools. I carry a small bag of essentials and then more in the car just in case.

5. Wheelbarrows are provided, so get one when you get there and head to the European car section

6. Don't expect to find an 02. Most go to specialty salvage yards. In the past 7 months I've only found two and they were both stripped to the bone.

Mark

what services are usually offered? is there a standard of etiquette? (call ahead, ask what they have, etc)

Etiquette!! Sure, just don't start working on the opposite end of something that someone is working at the other end, especially if he is a big guy or has a big hammer!

Seriously, if someone is working on a car and there is something on it you want, ask the guy if they were wanting it also. Most often the answer is no, go for it. I have removed a windshield while others were extracting the front seats. They even gave me a hand.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

fantastic info guys. thank you. as far as hobo run-ins or the like, i doubt that will happen. the 2 yards i've seen are in farm country just off the highway frontage roads.

now to collect the right tools. more suggestions?

matt

FAQ member #4044

Pocket sized stuff you pocket is free because you paid to get in

Don't ask a stranger to help you pull something. I will take your tools

any tools you find are yours, including tools in BMW tool kits

You don't have whatever size wrench Pablo is wanting to borrow

Find something you can't afford today? pull it , stash it in a unrelated car come back next week

Never leave your tools unattended, I will take your tools

Roach Coaches out front make DAMN good tacos. Don't forget about your tools while eating them. I will take your tools

They want to overcharge you for something ? THROW it in the reject pile next to the window

Get there early for half price days

Shake the car your about to crawl under, you don't want it falling on you . I will take your tools.

I just spent two days in the P'n'P yards over the holiday getting parts for my E12 and some things for friends so I can only say "LMAO" to these replies. "I will steal your tools": I think the guy at the front desk had that tatooed on his forehead now that I think about it.

I can't add much more to those that already replied but I can second a few things already suggested here:

Do not fear the Taco Trucks...so good, and cheap.

Wear clothes you wouldn't mind burning before you even get there.

Use carpet mats conveniently provided in every car around you when you crawl under something...plush and comfy for your back. Roll one up for added lumbar support when pulling diffs.

Bring clear woodworking type safety glasses, road grime and crud always pours off the bottom of these cars.

If you find a good car that's missing pieces you want, check all the cars around it to make sure someone didn't stash it. I've found many a round tail light assembly, grille, or roundel/2002 badge in the cars nearby. (when 2002's were present) If they really wanted to hide it they would have lugged it over to the domestic truck section on the other end of the yard like I would.

Complain like hell when checking out: how the prices have gone up, these parts might not even work, I could get it for that price at NAPA, etc. I got five window switches for the price of one when I threatened to leave them in the return pile.

If it fits in your pocket: it fits in your pocket. Don't be obvious. Fasteners are free with admission in my book.

Most importantly: Try your best to take the part you're after without destroying everything in its path. Some guys might need those things.

Have fun...it's addictive, in a twisted way.

-s

Shad

'70 2002 #671 "Bimmerschmitt"

'70 2002 BADUDA aka 'Wall Art'

'72 2002 #672 Sold

'73 2002 Sold

'79 528i Daily Driver (future ETC Clone)

at the Pick n Pulls (here in the Bay Area), they reserve the right to inspect your tool box for stowaway parts, so be forewarned.

LOL, you may want to be careful of what you call the part when you go to the register. I picked up an itsy bitsy MG Midget trunk lid and called it a trunk lid and they wanted to charge me $50. Lid from a huge Chevy would also have been $50 so I argued. Gal called in the next level supe who called it a cover, and I said that was what it was, so the price was $25.

oh, if you see a wheel you want and the tire is junk or non-runnable, you don't have to pay for the tire, you may have to claim the safety rule as the register gal may insist on charging you for tyhe tire

Bob

BMWCCA #4844 (#297 of The 308)

1974 2002 Sahara, MM 2400 Rally engine, MM 5 speed and conversion

1976 2002A Anthracite parts car

1991 525i AlpinweiB II

2002 330ci AlpinweiB III

2007 530xiT Titanium Silver

Spent MANY an afternoon at Pick-N-Pull, I even have a tee shirt from 94'.

Get to know the guys in the yard, sometimes they'll let you know a week or so ahead of a HALF PRICE weekend then spend the entire week before that pulling and stashing parts in other cars. If you do this, DRAW MAPS. I got to know one of the guys so good that he'd call me and give me a heads up when a new 02 hit the yard.

I fully concur about the vans stated earlier, my urinal of preference is the back seat of an Accord though, much closer to the Euro import isle than the vans. TAKE CHEAP HARBOR FREIGHT TOOLS. I guarantee that if you take your Snap-On set, you will leave one behind, but the cheap shit always comes home.

TK

Life's a garden baby, dig it.

My web album

75 Fjord

73 RHD Targa

One thing I forgot,

if you are trying to figure out how to disassemble something on your car, go find a similar car at the pick n pull and break their shit. The $2 admission fee is WELL WORTH learning that there is 3 rivets on the "B" pillar behind the rubber that have to be drilled out before you remove the back seat window.

Ask me how I know...

Life's a garden baby, dig it.

My web album

75 Fjord

73 RHD Targa