• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

pick and pull know-how

bueller

You haven't lived if you haven't been to Vegas or Pick and Pull! It is exciting even if you don't pick up anything - I guess that applies to both places. There is an anticipation as to what you may find, even if you are not looking for it - again this may apply to both places. The food is cheap and you will find all kinds of characters looking for something different. You will hear many languages spoken, primarily Spanglish, but some, you won't even recognize, quite an international venue. I tried to convince my wife to go with me, and I described all the neat things about those places... well she took a rain check on P&P, actually we enjoyed Vegas a lot - regardless it could be a place you can take your family, but not Pick and Pull.

You just need to go and explore, it is only $2 bucks.

FAQ Member # 91

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

$2. Bucks, I'm in.

Good food and anticipation of the unknown? I'm in.

The hell with the wife I'll pay her to go shopping somewhere.

I need to come see you guys in your environment sometime.

The grass is always greener on the other side isn't it....

EDIT:

After saying this I gotta ask. I'm single for 16 years but was married for 15 years. How many of you guys have wife's that you actually spend time with under the hood or they truly enjoy twisting wrenches.

I don't mean saying yes they get into cars but actually get greasy and know something about cars.

Bob's post reminded me about wheels, which I think it actually an excellent value proposition at PNP. You can pick up a nice set of turbines or bottle caps for $15 each. I usually look for cars with the wheels I want then look in the trunk for the spares which invariably are pristine. Find yourself 4 nice spares for a set. The downside with the spares is that the tires are usually decent so you will have a hard time arguing that you shouldn't have to pay another $15 for the tire.

What I do is just take the wheels to a local tire shop and have the cheaply remove the tires which I take back for a credit.

SHAKE THE DAMN CAR BEFORE YOU CRAWL UNDER!

around here they weld rims together and drop cars on them,

and they're usually pretty secure. Only about 1 in 20 fall...

IF PKB has not taken your tools, I'll pick 'em up while

you're taking a leak.

Always take a leak on Chryslers. Women, feel free to use vans... but yeah,

you might not be the first.

Only a buck in Arlington and Lynnwood.

Yes to the sketchy taco truck.

If someone else's done 95% of the work, you're obligated to finish the job.

I have several transmissions that way. Including one from a 944 today

(might work better than the Fox for the electric car)

You may get lucky- people often put new alternators, brakes, etc

on cars to 'fix' them, and when it doesn't work, scrap it in disgust.

I have many spare Montero parts that way. Amazing how a new

harmonic balancer doesn't make a crank nose grow back...

nor does an alternator heal a blown ECU... The reverse is also true,

but an ECU costs so much that you're well- advised to check them

for the more obvious faults...

I have a car disease.

There is no cure.

I spent a good part of this afternoon

revelling in that...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Be VERY careful getting anything out of vans as these seem to be the Porta Potty of choice for lazy bums at salvage yards.

Thres gotta be a story here!

A couple of weeks ago, when I went to my local pick your part with my wife, we were looking through some old motorhomes and she found some fresh ass biscuits in one of them. Be careful!

David G.
1989 Volvo 240 Wagon "Da Brick" Daily driver
1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R "Hitomi" Sleeping. Waiting for NEO VVL!!
1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" The never ending project!!!

-I use an old backpack to keep my tools close.

-If you need a part leave all the brackets and stuff on it they usually throw them in for free.

-If you think the checkout lady doesn't know what the part is make something up or call it something cheap

-mmmmm taco truck

-A rag is nice to have to wipe the std's off

-A pipe or cheater bar can come it handy

-A hammer is a very important tool

-So are vice grips

Go with a list of parts you need in your hand and the locations of the cars printed, they will list car locations and print for you, SAVES alot of time. the first time i went i was like TUCO in the last scene of The Good The Bad and The Ugly, running around the grave yard with my mouth wide open salivating at all the possibilities!

Go in, find your parts, and get out!

FO 2573825

1971 2002, 5-OD, Recaro SE, BBK, 90Amp Alt, Turbines, VDO, Hellas, BD belts, LED Tails, 10 Foot DD

I can't add anything that hasn't been said in this excellent thread. I haven't been to a pick & pull in a year, but I'm now going to find one this weekend!

Good stuff!

-Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

i have noticed a sharp increase in pricing at the picknpulls in the bay area where i used to frequent, over the last 5 years. this is to the point where many times i've just left items at the counter in disgust knowing that i can get the same item on ebay delivered to my door in a nicely wrapped box...

where the value lies is in the LSD's, recarros and 5spds, but i scoffed at the attempt to charge me $40/side for 1/2 shafts.

i've heard that the 'cashforclunker' cars have really impacted the availability of older cars due to space limitations.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

I've found used syringes in some really wierd places in several cars, and latex gloves will NOT protect you from a needle-prick (a lot of the cars the self-service yards buy come from tow companies that are selling abandoned vehicles that the owners never reclaimed for one reason or another, and abandoned cars DON'T generally come from owners who love and care for either their cars or themselves).......

Aside from that, a visit to P&P has been one of my favorite diversions for years - amazing what turns up (got a full set of five 6x13 Cromadora's off an '02 last year, a near perfect Golde sunroof pop-up wind deflector from a Bavaria a while ago [same sunroof as an '02], and lots of E21 5 speeds, alternators, etc, etc........).

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

amazing what turns up (got a full set of five 6x13 Cromadora's off an '02 last year, a near perfect Golde sunroof pop-up wind deflector from a Bavaria a while ago [same sunroof as an '02], and lots of E21 5 speeds, alternators, etc, etc........).

I am so glad you found those! They have transformed Bacchus!

FAQ Member # 91

thanks everyone! such great stuff per the usual. on the note of tools, any tools that are e21 specific that don't work with a 2002 ie for recaros, etc that should be brought?

i need to search the forum for the essential 02 small tools (varieties/sizes).

matt

FAQ member #4044

I've been working on a column about the fun of junkyarding--does anyone who posted mind if I use some of your g-rated comments in the column?

We have very few Pick 'n Pulls in Ohio, but I've had the pleasure of visiting a few while in California...wish we had more here...

cheers and TIA

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Guest Anonymous
Pocket sized stuff you pocket is free because you paid to get in

Don't ask a stranger to help you pull something. I will take your tools[/b]

any tools you find are yours, including tools in BMW tool kits

Never leave your tools unattended, I will take your tools

Roach Coaches out front make DAMN good tacos. Don't forget about your tools while eating them. I will take your tools

Shake the car your about to crawl under, you don't want it falling on you . I will take your tools.

INCREDIBLE.