• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

pick and pull know-how

bueller

Don't know about those in your area, but the Atlanta Pull-A-Parts have an online listing of the cars in each yard, with the date they came in.

The yards in Atlanta kind of suck. My dad and I joke about the BMWs you'll find there. This isn't a guess, this is actual fact. If you go to any Atlanta yard, you'll find the following:

ONE (1) e21 320i. The 5-speed will be gone, but the diff will be there. It will not be a LSD. The head will have injector holes in it, and one of the front hubs will be missing.

FIVE (5) to SEVEN (7) e30's. 4 will be 325e's. 2 will be 318i's. One will be a 318is, with nothing left but the roof. All will be automatics, and half will have bumper-stickers from local art colleges.

ONE (1) BMW e32 735i. It will be white with gray shredded interior. For some reason, the interior dome lights will be missing. The valve covers will have been removed, but left inside the car.

TWO (2) to THREE (3) e28's. They will never, ever be a 533 or 535. They will always be tan or white, and will never have any interior left.

ONE (1) e34 525i. It will be dull red and missing the trunklid.

IF YOU'RE VERY LUCKY: ONE (1) BMW 2002. It will be a Siennabrun 1976. The interior will be tan, and completely destroyed. Everything will be gone except the gauge cluster, gas tank, US Sidemarker lights, and engine block. The hood will be missing, and sitting on the hood of a VW Fox three cars over. While you're trying to find something of use in this crap pile, pkbinplano will take your tools.

Atlanta yards suck.

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know about those in your area, but the Atlanta Pull-A-Parts have an online listing of the cars in each yard, with the date they came in.

The yards in Atlanta kind of suck. My dad and I joke about the BMWs you'll find there. This isn't a guess, this is actual fact. If you go to any Atlanta yard, you'll find the following:

Atlanta yards suck.

I guess we lucked out. The solid tan '76 at the South yard a few months ago yielded two decent fenders, solid rockers, a rear roll pan and several other tidbits for the touring. Jeff stripped the flared one of its CR steering box, paid $40 and sold it on Ebay for a cool grand. Will got a fender and door for his E34 (same color as the car, so no repaint needed), a radio for the E36 my daughter used to own, and a couple more items I don't remember now for about $150.00.

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290

I haven't been to a salvage yard in a few years, but I'll add these tips:

Go in the winter time to avoid spiders, snakes, lizards, mice, rats, etc.

Put an old towel, blanket or soft fender cover on the seat of your driver to protect the seats when you get back in the car.

Take a small can of PB Blaster, Kroil, CRC 556, etc.

Take a cheap camera for future reminders.

Be wary of axles and wiring harnesses that have been cut by torches for easier breakdown by the yard.

Search for buried treasure hiding in gloveboxes, trunks and under seats (maybe use a screwdriver or stick first to ensure you won't get a surprise). Sometimes the best vehicle literature and records are still in the car.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I guess we lucked out.

I rescind my previous statement. Atlanta yards suck because Harry takes all the parts!

LMAO true dat! I can Confirm that the numbers and colors that Harrison mentioned above are a constant variable here, dont expect anything else.

I really wish I knew about green flaired tii when got to the yard, It had everything i needed for Margie untill Harry and his crew came and gutted it!

Although I did get the stuff I needed for my trunk battery relocate atth the yard off an E30... out the the 7 Harrison listed, only one had the cable I needed LOL.

And yes, if you are in ATL, we dont have sketchy taco stands, we have sketchy BBQ stands, and I value my life too much to try it.

DONT WORRY, I WONT STEAL YOUR TOOLS.

Zac Cardinal

1972 2002tii's Blog

1976 2002 "Margie"s blog

IMG_2146copy.jpg

Although I did get the stuff I needed for my trunk battery relocate atth the yard off an E30... out the the 7 Harrison listed, only one had the cable I needed LOL

Yeah man, I've only gotten lucky a few times with the P&Ps here. Got a nice 245 5-speed after Jeff tipped me off to it, and some e30 EFI stuff, but thats about it.

Never a CR box though. Thats some lottery-level stuff. I never heard about the flared car.

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

Although I did get the stuff I needed for my trunk battery relocate atth the yard off an E30... out the the 7 Harrison listed, only one had the cable I needed LOL

Yeah man, I've only gotten lucky a few times with the P&Ps here. Got a nice 245 5-speed after Jeff tipped me off to it, and some e30 EFI stuff, but thats about it.

Never a CR box though. Thats some lottery-level stuff. I never heard about the flared car.

Ahh yes the elusive flaired tii...

Apparently it had a CR steering box, complete tii engine, bilsteins all around, front and rear fiberglass flares, sunroof, and a completely "custom" interior w/ shag type carpet, headliner, seats and door panel trim (YIKES!). Quite a unique car, but just a pile of bones by the time i found it..

mm.jpg

IMG_0552.jpg

mmmmm.jpg

mmm.jpg

Funky door panels and all... RIP, its no longer there :(

Zac Cardinal

1972 2002tii's Blog

1976 2002 "Margie"s blog

IMG_2146copy.jpg

[quote name="speedwell1966

And yes' date=' if you are in ATL, we dont have sketchy taco stands, we have sketchy BBQ stands, and I value my life too much to try it.

DONT WORRY, I WONT STEAL YOUR TOOLS.[/quote]

GA Boiled Peanut stands - YUCK

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Guest Anonymous
they have better things to worry about besides whats in my pocket.

Curious argument. Sounds like something said on most episodes of Walker Texas Ranger, right before they meet Walker. Y pay for anything that is small? You must have attended a different Sunday school than I did.

Guest Anonymous
Pocket sized stuff you pocket is free because you paid to get in

So, if there was no admission fee, you wouldn't "pocket" small sized stuff?

I scored some great parts out of pik-a-part yards

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,284132/highlight,nipomo/

I've also scored some E21 Recarro's, 320iS car steering wheel, (both are now in my tii), H1 lights, early 02 alloy wheel, etc...

02's in a pik-a part yard are very rare, E12's and 21's are rare as well these days. Now that I have several E30's, I find lots of great E30 parts to include a E30 map light mirror (now in my tii).

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner