• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NO more VW (New) Beetles! (Incorrect!)

jgerock

It's been a long run, but this Spring they are ceasing the production of New Beetles.

http://autos.aol.com/gallery/vw-beetle-history

I cutout and saved the Wash. Post article from June 23, 2003 that described the production line in Mexico stopping the "classic" Beetle.

I also have good info on the "New Beetle" including a copy of the VW design patent from 1996 (Patent design # 367,440) and letters/brochures from VW in April 1997 saying the "Concept 1" is going into production.

I have practically lived in the VW since March 1966 when my parents brought me home from the hospital in their White 1959 Beetle.

One of the 1500 special edition convertibles in two-tone with 17" wheels will be a collectors item. Wish I could buy one.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

It's been a long run, but this Spring they are ceasing the production of New Beetles.

http://autos.aol.com/gallery/vw-beetle-history

I cutout and saved the Wash. Post article from June 23, 2003 that described the production line in Mexico stopping the "classic" Beetle.

I also have good info on the "New Beetle" including a copy of the VW design patent from 1996 (Patent design # 367,440) and letters/brochures from VW in April 1997 saying the "Concept 1" is going into production.

I have practically lived in the VW since March 1966 when my parents brought me home from the hospital in their White 1959 Beetle.

One of the 1500 special edition convertibles in two-tone with 17" wheels will be a collectors item. Wish I could buy one.

I was extremely close to buying a new bug back before i bought my 02, but one day I was sitting at a light back in san jose, cali, and no less than three NBs came to a stop at the light coming from my left. I looked over admiringly until I realized all three of them were being driven by little old ladies. that put an end to the beetle idea. shortly thereafter I bought my 02 and the rest is history....

I REMEMBER THE SPLASH THAT THE NEW BEETLE MADE WHEN THE

FIRST ONES HIT THE DEALER LOTS .

PEOPLE PUT MONEY DOWN ON CARS BEFORE THEY WERE DELIVERED

AND SOMETIMES EVEN PAID A PREMIUM TO GET THEIR HANDS ON ONE .

SOME OF THE USED CAR DEALERS PUT MONEY DOWN TOO .

WHEN THEY GOT THEIR CARS , THEY WOULD MOVE THEM ACROSS TOWN

AND SELL THEM THE SAME DAY FOR $2000 OVER THE DEALER PRICE .

CRAZY , JUST CRAZY .

THE CONVERTIBLE WAS A LONG TIME COMING AND STILL LOOKS TO

ME LIKE A BENCHMARK DESIGN FOR IT's LINES & FOLDING MECHANISM .

IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN A CHICK CAR AND AS SUCH WAS SELLING TO A LIMITED MARKET .

IT ALWAYS LOOKED ODD WITH A GUY BEHIND THE WHEEL .

THIS WAS A MERE FLASH IN THE PAN COMPARED TO THE LONGEVITY

OF THE ORIGINAL BUGS .

reodor.gif

• 1 month later...

From the March Issue of Automobile Magazine, looks like another Generation of New Beetle will come out next year, then maybe another one in 2017 (mid-engine with rear wheel drive!?).

2011Beetle.jpg

Looks good, but I wish they would bring a Scirocco here.

SciroccoRmain.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"