• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Really good German beer!

jgerock

Here is a rough cell phone photo (or maybe the beer caused the blurry image) of (2) really good (STRONG) beers.

Good beers!

My wife and I went out to dinner with some neighbors to a local bar/restaurant in Alexandria (Rustico) this fall and we tried something different. Note the aluminum binder on the right - that's their beer menu!

The one on the left (Aventinus Dopplebock) has a subtle hint of bananas!! and was the best beer I've ever tasted. Oh yeah - alcohol content was about 8.5%. Best not to drive after having one of these. The short one on the right from Belgium was 10%. My neighbor just told me you can get the Aventinus from Total Wine.

Cheers!

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I was in Germany in the 70's thanks to the US Army and the story on the Dopplebock (or Christmas beer) was that it was the end of the brewing season and it came from the bottom of the vats. I don't know the truthfulness of it but it made a good story for a bunch of 18 year old kids far away from home.

Bill

1973 2002 Chamonix sunroof (soon to be M42 swap)
2015 Ford Explorer-Wife
1999 Jeep Cherokee

1991 318i convertible (donor)

Here is a rough cell phone photo (or maybe the beer caused the blurry image) of (2) really good (STRONG) beers.

Good beers!

My wife and I went out to dinner with some neighbors to a local bar/restaurant in Alexandria (Rustico) this fall and we tried something different. Note the aluminum binder on the right - that's their beer menu!

The one on the left (Aventinus Dopplebock) has a subtle hint of bananas!! and was the best beer I've ever tasted. Oh yeah - alcohol content was about 8.5%. Best not to drive after having one of these. The short one on the right from Belgium was 10%. My neighbor just told me you can get the Aventinus from Total Wine.

Cheers!

j. gerock welcome to the world of strong ales. if you likey the ba-nah-nah of the aventinus might i suggest the classic CHIMAY triple (off-white colored label). or for that matter any triple-fermented belgian ale. others like La Chouffe and St.Feuillian come to mind, although i'm more of a "west coast IPA guy" these days. Best on draft in a Chimay goblet style glass if you can find it in your area, but you should be able to find it in a 750-mL corked bottle at better beer stores. be aware that the red (double) and blue labeled chimays are a much darker and maltier variety.

Now i'm off to crack open a bottle of the always dependable, never overloaded with spices and crap, Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale...

Cheers!

-ryan/golfie in san francisco county

I was in Germany this past October and drank a lot of dark wheats. One of the outstanding beers was Erdinger Dunkel, which fortunately is avaliable at BevMo, but without the ceramic stopper tops, unfortunately. I recently had one of those doppels, avaliable locally, and was quite satisfied,altough i don't recal the banana flavor.Briefly thought of becoming a monk for the fringe benifits.... Actually went to a monestary(Andechser Klosterbiere) and had a few Schwartsbieres; a holy experience to be sure.

PROST!!

bob newman

71 2002

85 M635

89 327is

98 M3

Hi Jim,

Not sure if you have access to Erdinger, but if you don't, i can send you a couple for the holidays. The only problem(at least for me) is that they set the bar pretty high. Nowadays, I'm finding the Cali beers way to hoppy, although i've always felt hops were for preserving beer that was headed to India from England in the 1800's and should have ended there!Cali brewers think otherwise, though!

bob

71 2002

85 M635

89 327is

98 M3

Hi Jim,

Not sure if you have access to Erdinger, but if you don't, i can send you a couple for the holidays. The only problem(at least for me) is that they set the bar pretty high. Nowadays, I'm finding the Cali beers way to hoppy, although i've always felt hops were for preserving beer that was headed to India from England in the 1800's and should have ended there!Cali brewers think otherwise, though!

bob

Wow - thanks for the offer to ship! Will ask the neighbors for their source for some "good stuff".

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

In Munich, across from the Hofbrau Haus is an Ayinger's bistro. At 4 pm they tap a cask conditioned lager that...is mother's milk. Only one cask per night and when it's gone, it's gone. Served in stoneware steins.

'70 2002 "Baby"

1970 Atlantikblau 

'11 135i "The Red Rocket"
'13 F10 M 

'07 Carrera GT3 "The Flying Banana"