• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Project finally started after 7 years

madhaxor_3

I'll start with a little background on the car.

1975 2002A<--I believe that's the right designation for auto.

I bought the car almost 8 years ago for $400 (ok so what's wrong with it? scary thought). Not too much bad stuff on it (minor surface rust). Auto trans (now 4 speed), beat up interior (gone. only driver seat's left and I'm replacing it with a Momo race seat I bought about 4 years ago and never used), Solex carb (changed to Weber 32/36), messed up "custom" exhaust piping (now header to cherry bomb "muffler" and a short dump pipe half way down the tunnel), and some POS steel rims I think came off an old civic or something(now rims from a 320 i think? got 'em for free from my buddy that works at an auto shop).

When I bought it the guy said it didn't start and he didn't know why or what it needs to fix it, and that it has been sitting since 1997<--uh oh here it 2002 this could be bad. So I towed it to my parents house (I was 17 at the time) and checked it over. Seems that all it needed was a new battery(none in the car at all, no wonder it didn't turn over), oil, and fuel(both completely dry)! After those 3 things it started right up. I put new auto trans fluid in it and I backed it out of the driveway and did a few "victory" laps around the parking lot across from their house.

I then brought it back to do the important stuff that I should have done before the laps. Compression test, fuel pressure readings, fuel and oil filter change...ect...ect. After a few small changes and tuning I only drove it every once in a while to keep it fresh, but nothing big happened for a few years, except the folks being annoyed that it was at their house taking up space.

1975 2002 *POS(piece of ....) in progress to becoming TS(the ....)*

In 2005 I joined the military and stored the car at a buddies house. I got injured and medically discharged in 2007 and did nothing about the car until recently. I picked it up January of this year and started to tinker again. Since then I've stripped it to the bone and changed almost everything. I rebuilt the head, did the head gasket put an external fuel pump in. Took almost all wiring out and rewired for racing only, stripped all the paint and sprayed it with primer(white and gray, don't know why 2 colors but I did???) I did some body work to it and started my own flares using the existing panels and pounding them outward I'm sure it sounds funny, but it looks better IMO)

Now I am starting to get the Megasquirt/EDIS conversion together. I have to replace all the bushings get new shocks/struts (all the mounts are gone and the car bounces all funny cause of the blown shocks when I move it), and get the racing seat in.

My idea for the car is to have it for weekend mountain drives and the occasional autocross, and maybe drive it once in a while to work or school at night.

I welcome all suggestions, helpful hints, rants about how ugly it is, or anything you might want to share your 2 cents on.

Here is a couple recent posts with questions that I have had about my few upcomming projects

megasquirt question:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,333265/

suspension question:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,333266/

Oh and I'll put up pics of the car when I bought it (need to scan those first to get them online), what it looks like now, and anything I do to it from now on to keep everyone updated as much as possible. That way if I need help everyone knows where I'm at and what the problem looks like (I don't mean the look of the car I know that problem already) and everyone can add suggestions and whatnot for me to consider.

• 3 months later...

Update on the projects.

I got the suspension done about 3 weeks ago and got busy with life.

This week I am installing the megasquirt.

I just got done installing the EDIS system, relay board, and megasquirt comp.

So now I have the EDIS with a 32/36 carb. If I can get this running smooth then I'll continue with the fuel injection set-up.

I have pics of the process coming up soon, but I do have some questions.

1) When I hook up my laptop to set parameters it comes back with something like, "incompatible INI sending 2.8800 receiving 2.6000." If anyone has any suggestions please let me know how to change this. I have tried in the configurations but it doesn't seem to change anything.

2) I'm not sure if there is actually spark going into the engine. Is there an easier way to check if there is anything getting there? I tried to take the plug out and crank the engine but nothing. Maybe the computer is not sending the info to the relay board and the EDIS???? Please Help

More to come soon.