• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

California original plates -explain the appeal to a non-CAer

malagalaga

I'll preface this question by stating that I don't mean to stir anything up. I'm just curious.

Californians, I often see you excitedly point out that a vehicle for sale in your state has original blue or black plates. I get the appeal of having period appropriate plates (my car is registered with a set - I think it runs me an additional $25 or so annually). And I understand that it helps confirm that the car is original to California, a rust-light state kind to our classics.

But are there other reasons? Is it cheaper to register one this way? Do you have to pay back fees otherwise? Help me understand!

1973 BMW 2002 Sahara

Thats an easy one for me. If I am going to spend the time, effort and money to do a complete oem/ factory grounds up restoration. The cart will have period correct plates. The little details will make a car not just beautiful but also unforgettable.

69 2002 1668997 "Geboren ein Hölle"

Shhhhhh... Another Whispering Bomb!!

Thats an easy one for me. If I am going to spend the time, effort and money to do a complete oem/ factory grounds up restoration. The cart will have period correct plates. The little details will make a car not just beautiful but also unforgettable.

So let's say there are two nice '72 tiis for sale for a great price. Both are solid and identically priced, but one has original California period plates and the other comes with 2009 plates because it just moved from another state.

You would be willing to pay more for the California car because of the plates?

This is because it's not possible to re-register a car in California on blue/black plates?

Again, not trying to stir things up. Just curious!

1973 BMW 2002 Sahara

Californians, I often see you excitedly point out that a vehicle for sale in your state has original blue or black plates. I get the appeal of having period appropriate plates (my car is registered with a set - I think it runs me an additional $25 or so annually). And I understand that it helps confirm that the car is original to California, a rust-light state kind to our classics.

!

that about sums it up. i might add that there's a certain bit of exclusivity to having an 02 with its original plate and that in itself has appeal, sort of like having euro-bumperettes, italian turn signals, red tipped antennas, quick ratio steering box, snorkle-less tii and on and on....

if it ever comes to pass that we are allowed to retro-actively use 'blue or black' plates, i will be happy, but the level of cachet will diminish.

i have a photo of one of my cars sporting its original blue-plates which were surrendered to the DMV (by the PO, not me!) when a lowlife stole the backplate. I'd LOVE to be able to remake those plates and legally use them.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

!

that about sums it up. i might add that there's a certain bit of exclusivity to having an 02 with its original plate and that in itself has appeal, sort of like having euro-bumperettes, italian turn signals, red tipped antennas, quick ratio steering box, snorkle-less tii and on and on....

if it ever comes to pass that we are allowed to retro-actively use 'blue or black' plates, i will be happy, but the level of cachet will diminish.

i have a photo of one of my cars sporting its original blue-plates which were surrendered to the DMV (by the PO, not me!) when a lowlife stole the backplate. I'd LOVE to be able to remake those plates and legally use them.

Ah, got it. I never really thought about the originality issue. Hard to put a price on that but definitely desirable! I thought maybe there was a monetary reason for staying vintage.

When you go to get new plates, you have to give the state your old ones? Did not know that.

1973 BMW 2002 Sahara

We are lucky here in Ca to have many original cars. So the provenance of an original plate just makes a car more legitimate and period correct.

When I see a car with newer white reflector plates I just start wondering if it had been wrecked or from another rusty place before it got here.

I realize that it seems like we obsess on the original plates, but it does just look right when you see them on the car.

In the example you stated, I would prefer a car with original plates, but if it was in the exterior color I wanted then I would pick that over the plates. Not a deal breaker, but a bonus for sure.

PS - Hey thanks Norm I just bid on some Blk/Ylo plates for the NK.

Joseph O'Neil

73 02 - Polaris - 2587250

67 2000 TiLux- Chamonix - 1451152

I am not that picky but why I would prefer original plates is the negative connotations that come with new plates.

As was mentioned moving in from another state. Add to that wrecked/salvage, not registered for 10 years, stolen, clouded title, illegal transfers, et cetera, and it looks bad.

I had to take new plates for my '72 but I kept the originals.

Rick

If you have the plates, you have o give them up...if you are missing plates, like someone stole them, they have to issue you new plates....

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

CA DMV would not let me keep the plates that were on my former 73 Bavaria (barn find, stored for 10 years in LA county). The PO never registered the car non-op so the car fell off the DMV records after a number of years. I've heard it will off the DMV records anywhere from 6-10 years. I have the original plates, DMV issued me new plates in order for me to register it.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

Currently CA DMV will not reissue blue and yellow, but black and yellow are good to go IF you have two matching, they are in good repair, they are appropriate to the year of the vehicle and the number sequence is not currently being used.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc5004_1.htm

'73 tii

'72 (regretfully sold)

'76 (sold)

'08 328iT (better half)

I find that a great part of the information I have was acquired by looking up something and finding something else on the way.--Franklin Pierce Adams

If you want blue or black plates, just nab a nice pair off of ebay, then order current personalized plates with the same numbers. Put the stickers on the old plates and you're good to go. As long as the tags are current, do you really think Johnny Law is going to care??

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pair-Original-Black-California-License-Plates-VIM-956_W0QQitemZ300370813868QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45ef7ee3ac

just make sure you're putting them on the correct year car for the plates and you're good to go.

Life's a garden baby, dig it.

My web album

75 Fjord

73 RHD Targa

If you have the plates, you have o give them up...if you are missing plates, like someone stole them, they have to issue you new plates....

Could be but they don't check that closely. As far as I know they assume plates in lien sale with no paper work in DMV records or salvage title means they weren't there even if they actually are. At least I don't recall them asking me for them.

Rick