• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For An Oil Change 2002 tii - Which Oil To Use?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

What kind of Oil do you gentleman use when it's time for an oil change? I use 10W-60 Castrlog GTX for my BMW E46 M3. Is there any harm in using the same oil in the 2002 Tii? Also is there a DIY section for this oil change?

What kind of Oil do you gentleman use when it's time for an oil change? I use 10W-60 Castrlog GTX for my BMW E46 M3. Is there any harm in using the same oil in the 2002 Tii? Also is there a DIY section for this oil change?

Everything you need to know about oil is in the Owner's Manual.

Hey M3 - welcome! You seem like a new owner, so I figured that's appropriate

As far as oil goes - it depends. In the warmer climates - 15w50 is usually used. Colder might use something different. Again - check the owner's manual (if you have one) or those handy stickers under your hood, if they are still there.

As far as DIY - it's pretty easy. Remove filler on valve cover. Crawl under your car. Oil drain plug is on the lower right of the pan. Loosen and drain. Filter is on the lower left (under the battery tray if it hasn't been relocated). Filters are available from a number of places - dealer, Blunt (a member of this board), Bavarian Autosport (www.bavauto.com), Pelican Parts (www.pelicanparts.com). Refill with a quality motor oil that has enough ZDDP for your old machine. Personally - I use Red Line 15w50.

As far as fuel goes - I use V-power all of the time. I'm sure others use other things. I like the higher octane and detergent levels, but again - personal preference. I'm sure people are running 87 or 89 octane gas and doing just fine.

Again - welcome! Post pics - we love pictures.

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks Ken, what an insightful response. I'm in the process of hopefully picking up a 74 Tii this week. I'm getting my self excited with some simple stuff. I would probably do VPower just as well and your recommended oil. I reside in Virginia so we have all sorts of weather here. Best of the best for the best cars in the world.

As far as oil goes - it depends. In the warmer climates - 15w50 is usually used. Colder might use something different. Again - check the owner's manual (if you have one) or those handy stickers under your hood, if they are still there.

As far as DIY - it's pretty easy. Remove filler on valve cover. Crawl under your car. Oil drain plug is on the lower right of the pan. Loosen and drain. Filter is on the lower left (under the battery tray if it hasn't been relocated). Filters are available from a number of places - dealer, Blunt (a member of this board), Bavarian Autosport (www.bavauto.com), Pelican Parts (www.pelicanparts.com). Refill with a quality motor oil that has enough ZDDP for your old machine. Personally - I use Red Line 15w50.

As far as fuel goes - I use V-power all of the time. I'm sure others use other things. I like the higher octane and detergent levels, but again - personal preference. I'm sure people are running 87 or 89 octane gas and doing just fine.

Ken

If I may add to the oil change procedure: take a phillip screwdriver and poke a hole in the oil filter, rotate it 180 degrees, so you can drain the oil in the oil filter - come back in 10 minutes, and screw off the oil filter all the way, and retrieve it from the engine compartment - it is a tight fit - but there is enough space to remove it without making a mess.

FAQ Member # 91

Since I prefer to change oil frequently, I see no benefit in synthetics. So I've always used Castrol GTX 20-50, and, before I got a heated garage, 10-40 in the winter.

Recently switched to Valvoline VR-1 based on allegations of higher zinc content.

where abouts in Virginia are you?

Paul in Richmond
'70 Chamonix
'85 535i, 2000 R1100R

I have a slightly different approach to Michael's method.

Once I have the filter loose, I slip a plastic bag(gie) over the filter. Using the outside of the bag as a glove and I let the filter fall into the baggie when hit complete comes loose.

Seal it up, no fuss no muss.

I am just north of VA in MD. Let us know where you are.

If your battery and battery tray are still in the stock location, you will fight to get to the filter a bit.

You did not ask but only use the OEM filters, no FRAM or other filters welcome on the 02s. For performance reasons not personal reasons.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Thanks Justin,

I'll probably stick to synt, why not.

The one time I put synthetic in my tii, it started leaking oil in a number of places. Went back to the old fashioned stuff, no more leaks. Go figure.

"Refill with a quality motor oil that has enough ZDDP for your old machine"

What kind of oil has this "ZDDP" stuff ??? I know (or think I know) its Zinc but I dont know what oils have it... can someone help us out ???

Peace and Thanx

Wayne

Ken

Time is the ruler of all...

Guest Anonymous

I'm in Northern Virginia (Tyson's Corner Area). Lots of great responses, seems like there is no ONE exact oil for a 2002 tii. Lots of people are trying lots of different types of oils. I gotta re-read the thread and search up the different oils and choose my own. I'll share the pictures of the car as soon as I get it :)