• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For An Oil Change 2002 tii - Which Oil To Use?

Guest Anonymous

For my E30M3 and my 02's I like Valvoline 20/50 racing. Way back when, I would also use Castrol 20/50 in the 02. The only oil I ever had an issue with was Penzoil which gave low lower pressure than the Valvoline or Castrol.

The only cars that get the synthetics are the E46 and the Mini as that's what they have had since new.

A lot of people have had the leaks appear when switching an older motor to synthetics. Common problem. That stuff finds any little way out of the motor.

Our chapter had a tech session with Redline years ago. We asked, "What advantages will I get with RedLine oil if I change my oil every 3000 miles?" Their response, "No advantage."

With 4 cars, a host of bicycles, a wife, a son, a career, etc... I do good to get the oil done every 4-5k. Might be time to switch to synthetic as I get older.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Save the 10w-60 Castrol TWS for the M3. I have a 02 M Roadster with the same engine as your M3, the S54. As has already been said Mobil1 15w50 is a good choice as is Castrol GTX 20w-50 or even Valvoline VR-1. I run the Mobil in my 2002, and because of the high level of ZDDP run the Valvoline VR-1 in my Volvo 1800ES with the B20 and its flat tappet camshaft.

Earl

74 2002Luv

02 M Roadster

72 Volvo 1800ES

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

Welcome to the crazy world of 02 goodness. There are several 02 owners here in the Northern VA/DC/MD area that can assist you with your tii. I've had lots of fun just finding and cleaning the various fuel system screens and even the injectors for smooth running.

As far as oil in my cars, I use:

Castrol GTX 20W-50 in the tii

Pennzoil 10W-40 in the Bug

Pennzoil 5W-30 in the DD Honda

Mobil 1 in the DD MB

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Wayne -

It's been discussed a few times. Can't remember when.

I know Red Line has it it abundance. Not sure about the others. You need to check though. ZDDP is basically a zinc additive if I remember correctly, and old cars are supposed to need it, because it helps with reducing wear on camshafts and lifters.

A quick google search turned this up:

http://www.macysgarage.com/myweb6/ZDDP.htm

Like I said - I use Red Line 15w50 synthetic. No leaks, no problems.

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

In my tired old 2liter I use whatever brand 20w50 I can get my hands on. I used to prefer Castrol GTX but with such a tired smokey oil burning motor, the change to less ZDDP and the price of oil these days....

When I have a fresher motor in my car I'll be using one of the best non synthetics like SWEPCO, Brad Penn, Joe Gibbs..... OR do the math on using a ZDDP additive with Castrol GTX

SWEPCO still uses the SL rating ZDDP content as well as Brad Penn and Joe Gibbs.... I work on a few bimmers of the local distributor and will likely use her SWEPCO product.

Brad Penn is the real Kendal, the green oil! Same old formula and Pennsylvania refinery as the good old Kendal....

I have only heard of Joe Gibbs recently, but it sounds promising.

As for winter weight, I grew up in California and all my experience is based on one viscosity all year round. Where I live it only dips into the 20's a few mornings each year... and hardly colder than 40 during the day ever.

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Once I have the filter loose, I slip a plastic bag(gie) over the filter. Using the outside of the bag as a glove and I let the filter fall into the baggie when hit complete comes loose.

Seal it up, no fuss no muss.

great idea, bill! will definately try this at next oil change.

In my tired old 2liter I use whatever brand 20w50 I can get my hands on. I used to prefer Castrol GTX but with such a tired smokey oil burning motor, the change to less ZDDP and the price of oil these days....

i am in the same boat, tom...

FYI kragen has a coupon for castrol, $2.69 a quart if you buy 5 or more...i got paid today and am going to pick up a case or 2 tonight.