• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New digital SLR camera

JackF

My wife and I have decided to upgrade from the point and shoot to a SLR digital for our Xmas gifts to each other. I generally have had Canon products and have been satisfied with them but my daughter recommends a Nikon. I'm looking at up to the Canon EOS7D, to 50D and the T1i. Quite a spread. All new models in the 18 megapixel range. The Nikon models could be D300s or D3000 in the 12+ megapixel range. I'm aware that the megapixel count is not the be all and end all.

I only want to do this once. I have some Canon lenses from my film EOS.

So, if you were in the market, what would you recommend and why? TIA! Oh, and where would you buy them?

I have a Nikon D40 and a 18-200 lens. All I can say is I like it a lot. When I was comparing entry level DSLR's I felt the Nikon just felt better in my hand and was a little higher quality. I only had the one lens with my film Rebel so it wasn't like I had a big investment there.

Once you use a 18-200 everything else feels so limiting.

John

these have been re sized by Photobucket.

DSC_0001-6.jpg

DSC_0001-4.jpg

DSC_0016-2.jpg

DSC_0077.jpg

DSC_0018-3.jpg

DSC_0022-3.jpg

DSC_0029-1.jpg

DSC_0014-5.jpg

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

First, I believe your EOS lenses will work on the current Canon DSLRs. Canon changed the lens mount in 1988 or so. Nikon has the same mount for 60 years, but if your lenses are usable on the Canon I wouldn't consider Nikon unless you want to buy more lenses. I'm a Nikon user for 37 years so I'm not partial to Canon. There is some issue over early EOS lenses on high-end Canon DSLRs, so do you research at the links I provide below.

Nikon DSLRs on the bottom range do not have autofocus motors in the body, so they can only autofocus with lenses that have the focus motor in the lens. On the other hand, those same Nikons can mount pre-1977 non-AI Nikkor (auto-indexing) lenses without damage, while the medium to high-end Nikon DSLRs have to use AI lenses (or converted from non-AI).

There is a huge price difference between a Nikon D300s and a Nikon D3000, about 1200 bucks. One advantage the D300s and up bodies have is that they can meter with non-CPU lenses, which the lower Nikons can't. I believe the D3000 was the replacement for the D40. I have five Nikon DSLRs, D1H/D70/D200/D300/D700, and they run from 2.7mp to 12.1mp, so don't worry about megapixels. It takes a quadrupling of megapixels for a doubling of resolution, so anything 6mp and up can make great prints and for web use.

Buy from a reputable retailer that offers a solid return policy, like B&H in NYC, which is where I'be bought most of my new stuff for 25+ years.

Now I'd go to these links, and the ones that have forums I'd post your questions there and search their archives too, as you'll get better replies on the photo forums. Don't forget that DSLRs will put a strain on your computer too, and Nikon's good software costs extra.

http://photo.net/

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/

http://www.kenrockwell.com/

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

bss.jpg

A Nikon D3000 should be under the Christmas tree from my wife. It has an on-screen setup guide for SLR newbies like me. I can't wait to start learning how to use it in 2010. I even asked photo-expert Tom Madine for his advice (Thanks again Tom!).

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

consider one of the 12x (or higher) zoom cameras.

With them you really only need one lens (mine is the equivalent of 36-432 mm) and the later models have a reasonably fast capture/store time.

I think it is an excellent compromise between the point-and-shoot and full-up DSLR.

You can't beat the compact size, I'd frankly never carry a 200 mm lens on vacation (just too bulky). This baby is 432 without digital zoom.

Regards,

John N

I went through this process a year ago, and actually ended up with a Pentax. Honestly, I didn't find see that there was a tremendous difference between the big brands in technical capability. What tipped the hat for me is that my brother also has a Pentax and a whole host of lenses. Additionally, I really liked the way the Pentax felt in my hand, it was just a little sturdier than the Canon in particular. My sense was that it's hard to go wrong with any of the ones in the 700-100 range if you are "just" an amateur.

I took my film Canon EOS Rebel over to the camera store and checked the operation of my lenses with the new T1i. My Sigma 90mm macro, Canon 75-300 tele, and the Canon 35-85 all work on it. That means I am definitely staying with Canon. Bought the new t1i with the 18-55 EF lense this afternoon.

I have much to learn.

its funny... im so sick of lugging my fuji s9000 (SLR-sized single-lens "zoom" camera) around that I just ordered a 12mp canon elph SD780IS. They say the best camera is the one you have with you, and this thing is the size of a pack of cigarettes so I can just slip it into a pocket and go. It also shoots HD video, which was 90% of the motivation for a new camera in general. I want to be able to shoot video of Cooper when we are out and about without having to lug a giant camera with me. I looked at the "Flip" style HD cams but they come up short in still image quality (looks like a still video image instead of a still picture), image stabilization (they dont have it), and optical zoom (again, not available).

This is not my hand or camera (we got a silver one) but it shows how tiny it is:

23644_107.jpg

p.s. Thanks Mom! (new camera is xmas gift ;))

post-139-1366761758372_thumb.jpg

I took my film Canon EOS Rebel over to the camera store and checked the operation of my lenses with the new T1i. My Sigma 90mm macro, Canon 75-300 tele, and the Canon 35-85 all work on it. That means I am definitely staying with Canon. Bought the new t1i with the 18-55 EF lense this afternoon.

I have much to learn.

on your new Canon. The sensor on most DSLRs (other than the top models) are smaller than a 35mm film frame. Canons are 1.6x (yours) 1.3x and 1.0x. Your 90mm will give the field-of-view (and resulting image) of a 144mm lens (good for macro as it gives a better working distance), your 75-300 will now act like a 120mm-480mm, and the 35-85 will act like a 56mm-136mm. The 18-55 will operate as a 28.8mm-88mm. So effectively you will have continuous coverage from 28.8mm to 480mm, which isn't too shabby. In order to go really wide you'd need the Canon 10-22mm lens, which then would act as a 16mm-36.2mm lens. All non full-frame Nikon cameras have a 1.5x crop-factor.

I'm glad you didn't listen to the girlie-bimmer-men here, as light weight wheels are one thing for lower unsprung weight, but for steady shooting of cameras and weapons, it's weight that counts. The Robster would rather carry an M1 Carbine than an M1 Garand as it's lighter, even though it's barely a squirrel shooter. I can carry 30lbs of camera gear all day long and that's 23% of my body weight. You 250lb tubs of lard should be able to carry 50lbs if you dump regularly.

I'm glad you didn't listen to the girlie-bimmer-men here, as light weight wheels are one thing for lower unsprung weight, but for steady shooting of cameras and weapons, it's weight that counts. The Robster would rather carry an M1 Carbine than an M1 Garand as it's lighter, even though it's barely a squirrel shooter. I can carry 30lbs of camera gear all day long and that's 23% of my body weight. You 250lb tubs of lard should be able to carry 50lbs if you dump regularly.

hah, i have to laff. are you that insecure that you have to childishly attack anyone who has a different point of view than you? we get it, you are ALL MAN and can carry a giant bag of rocks around all day. good for you. whatever SHORTcoming it is that you are compensating for, its surely working.

ive done the three-SLRs around the neck and a giant bag of lenses on my back. and yeah, im done with it. i was speaking only for myself, and simply offering my own perspective on the issue. why you choose to be so offended by it, i can only guess. (as you guess as to whether i prefer a lightweight carbine or big he-man rifle--heres a hint: each is designed for a different application.)

ill say it again, the best camera is the one you have with you, and my little teeny-weenie girlie cam will surely *always* be with me, getting the job done. oh by the way, thats all that matters.

Oh boy, here we go! Nothing like a little Christmas cheer...without the raspberries.

You are both correct of course. I probalby will take more photos with my iphone, but have an Elph 600 that has gotten me from film to the point where I want something "more". But I'll definitely take the Garand. Just got a nice Kimber Montana in 25-06 too with a nice Leupold V-III. Kaaaa-boom!

Thakns for all the suggestions and help. Happy holidays, boys and girls!

Oh boy, here we go! Nothing like a little Christmas cheer...without the raspberries.

You are both correct of course. I probalby will take more photos with my iphone, but have an Elph 600 that has gotten me from film to the point where I want something "more". But I'll definitely take the Garand. Just got a nice Kimber Montana in 25-06 too with a nice Leupold V-III. Kaaaa-boom!

Thakns for all the suggestions and help. Happy holidays, boys and girls!

Jack, I have a Nikon D40 that we both love (wife and me). Found it very easy to use, good optics, very light, and feels small - but not too small where you need little fingers to use it. It is very capable if you want to - and have time - to explore beyond the basic point and shoot with a SLR. The only limitation that I found is that it does not take multiple exposure pictures (which you need for HDR pictures). When I travel or go to the shows, I always have a smaller point and shoot camera with me. In fact I just bought one that I am carrying with me all the time. technology is so advanced that the decision can be very tought, like deciding between best and a little best. I think for us, it came down to price, easy to use, and weight. Yes we are wimps, we rather carry a bottle of wine in our backpacks than equipment.

FAQ Member # 91