• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thinking of buying an e46 .......

themoose

On our 1999 E46 328i 4dr:

Auto tranny- just didn't feel right. We bought the car used at 98kmiles. We replaced the transmission at around 120k mikes. Don't believe the "lifetime fluid" claim.

We had the control arms replaced when we bought the car. Some clunking. Could have been due to the previous owner, or maybe how the E46's are. This was at 100k.

Valve cover seal- You'll smell the burning oil before you see the leak. Easy and satisfying fix, but takes 4 times as long as on an '02.

Window regulator- Not too bad of a repair. Just watch the door airbag. If you unplug it to be safe during the repair, you'll set a fault code and have to get it reset- Pain.

Rear tires- the E46's are brutal on the rears, especially the inside edges. You really have to get under the car to see the wear.

Interior trim- The glue tends to let go on all the A and C pillar trim panels and the material hangs off. I don't believe that should happen at 8 years old.

Air intake proportioning valve thingy (can't recall the name. Haven't replaced it yet) under the air intake. Supposed to be a major disassembly to get at it. It leaks and causes the car to surge at idle, especially when cold.

Our car wants to go through headlight lamps. I rang out the circuit with no issues. It's just the one thing our car likes to eat.

There is a current class action suit regarding the rear subframe on the E46's. Haven't had any issue with our car, but then again it hase never been autocrossed or tracked.

Our car was the first year model of the E46 and does not have the fold down rear seat. Because of this, the MINI and the '02 are better cargo haulers.

Overall, our E46 has been a good car. Very comfy, decent performance. OK mileage. I guess fair on repair issues with the exception of the transmission. It's basically out to pasture now that she has her MINI. Our 16 year old is driving the E46 the most. I really like the roof rack mounts that screw directly into the roof of the car. Very secure.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

I second everything SteveJ mentioned in his posting.

My E46 330i had a Thermostat go bad - engine wasn't warming up quick enough and triggered a Service Engine light.

I would check the cooling system if the car has more than 75k miles. "Modern" BMW's have lots of Plastic parts in the cooling system that seem to last between 75 - 100K. Definitely don't want to overheat the motor ($$$$).

There's also an E46 subframe class action settlement in effect - here's the link:

http://www.e46subframeclassactionsettlement.com/. Some E46 owners have had the rear subframe mounts develop cracks even under "light" use. I don't personally know of anyone with a cracked subframe but I did receive letter notifying me of the action.

Overall, I like my E46 - I've accepted the fact it will cost more to service than your typical Honda or Toyota.

Andy W.

'72 Tii & '74 Tii

'88 M3 & '91 318is

• Alpina

Our 2005 E46 M3 convertible new from dealer had more rattles and noises than the 41 year old 2002. was very dissapointed with it and dont get me going on the stupid $600 run-flats!!!! thank god is gone!

------------------------------------------------------

http://www.instagram.com/mojojoy

1968 BMW 2002 (Bristol/Granada)

1969 BMW 2000 NK (Florida)

1971 BMW 2000tii Touring Malaga (Restoring)

my wife has a 4dr, 328i, 5 spd and loves it. 1ts a year 2000 and just went over 90k and things are starting to go. Did the control arms, a window regulator, something that hooks onto each spark plugs (cant remember the name) and getting ready to order a radiator, expansion tank, water pump, hoses, sensor, radiator cap (all from steve (blunt) on this forum). Ive had a mechanic do everything but will start trying to do things myself, still cheaper then a car payment and its alot of fun to drive.

Bill

1973 2002 Chamonix sunroof (soon to be M42 swap)
2015 Ford Explorer-Wife
1999 Jeep Cherokee

1991 318i convertible (donor)

get one that is 2003 or newer.

in late 2001 they changed the steering box (for the better)

in 2003 the sound system changed and it is a lot easier to add a satrad or mp3/ipod.

my wife has a 2002 325it with every option avail at the time. 80k miles so far. LOVE IT! only issue to date is that the front control arm bushings suck. had them replaced 3 times under warranty. now that warrantee is gone, will replace with stiffer aftermarket ones.

2xM3

I had a 2000 323ci coupe that I bought new and to be honest, the car was a piece of junk. I had countless problems with it and it was at the dealer constantly. As soon as the warrentee expired I got rid of it and bought an Audi A4 which I love! I know several other people who've had e46's and they have also had numerous problems with them....My advice would be to stay away from any e46 3-series.

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

We have an '00 328i (sedan) that we acquired 2 years ago with 50K miles. It has 69K now, and other than doing the Inspection II items we've had no problems. Sprung for the auto tranny fluid flush (BG system), and recently changed the lower control arm bushings (Meyle heavy duty), diff fluid, fuel, cabin & air filters.

The window regulators frequently go bad, and there is a bit of a crackle with the driver's one, but I haven't dug into it yet.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

belated thoughts on the e46- fwiw i've never owned one, but a friend does and i read tech talk in the roundel-

basic good used car advice- buy it from the original owner who has maintained it properly and can prove it. CPO's are still a dealer sale, i don't trust them.

buy a 5 speed. mike miller of roundel is emphatic that bmw automatics suck.

plus 1 on all the cautions above. tech talk has covered them all, it seems. so join CCA, and you'll have miller's e-amil advice at your fingertips.

lastly, have a trustworthy bmw tech with the proper diagnostic equipment. some repairs are just not DIY.

really nice cars are available for less $ than many of us have in our '02's. last car before bangle and flame surfacing. future classic, probably. good luck

I've heard it's the last of the true BMW's. The E90 is more like a lexus.

That said - what I saw that wasn't mentioned:

Radiator neck is plastic. They break. Coolant goes everywhere. Be cautious around 100 K miles.

Transmission fluid and diff fluid are "lifetime" fluids. I guess if the thing craters because the fluid hasn't been changed - that's lifetime. Me - I'm changin' mine soon.

Fins on the water pump impeller are plastic. Metal upgrade is better, but expensive. Plan for it before 100K miles - because they tend to fail.

And - the valve cover gasket is out in the garage right now, and will hopefully happen over christmas break. Be careful - the OE dealer says use 3-bond 1209 on the gasket when re-installing. Well - you have to be a BMW dealer to get 1209. It is impossible to get it, and I've tried. Even Blunt can't get it. Instead, I'm going to use Yamabond 4. And that's hard to get.

Good Luck!

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

I've heard it's the last of the true BMW's. The E90 is more like a lexus.

That said - what I saw that wasn't mentioned:

Radiator neck is plastic. They break. Coolant goes everywhere. Be cautious around 100 K miles.

Transmission fluid and diff fluid are "lifetime" fluids. I guess if the thing craters because the fluid hasn't been changed - that's lifetime. Me - I'm changin' mine soon.

Fins on the water pump impeller are plastic. Metal upgrade is better, but expensive. Plan for it before 100K miles - because they tend to fail.

And - the valve cover gasket is out in the garage right now, and will hopefully happen over christmas break. Be careful - the OE dealer says use 3-bond 1209 on the gasket when re-installing. Well - you have to be a BMW dealer to get 1209. It is impossible to get it, and I've tried. Even Blunt can't get it. Instead, I'm going to use Yamabond 4. And that's hard to get.

Good Luck!

Ken

plastic radiator neck issue is common to all bmw's since the e36 came out. not an e46 only issue.

same for the tranny and diff lifetime fluid issue. just change them like normal. not a big deal.

water pumps are a a regular maint item on all bmw's. e46 design is not bad. not expensive if you DIY.

i have changed the valve cover gasket using run of the mill gasket sealer from any autoparts store...works fine.

2xM3

I don't recall using any sealant when I replaced the valve cover gasket, but it's been quite a while. If I did use anything, it would have been Permatex 3a aviation form-a-gasket. This stuff was recommended on the E30M3 boards years ago. Luckily, it is easy to source through McMaster-Carr.

This damn thread is reminding me of all the maitenance items I'll have to do when my son starts driving on his own. WP, fluids, tires, etc...

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

IMHO, the E46 is the best looking one - especially the M3. I want one someday.

I was very impressed after flogging the 2005 M3's with Competition Package at the BMW M-School in SC (both six speed & SMG versions).

2041116_006_1M.jpg

2041116_006_Mini2L.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"