• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E21 rear drums - what to use for a spare?

JohnC

One thing I just learned with my daughter's mishap is that my spare doesn't fit over the E21 rear drums. I went through the trouble of buying a brand new 13 in tire on a stock rim because it fits in the spare tire well, and when I went to use it, it didn't fit. Damn! Had to have the car towed home.

For those of you with E21 rear drums, what do you use for a spare?

John Capoccia

Sierra Madre, CA

I have an E30 steelie with a 175/65/14 on it. Haven't had to use it but it makes it over the drum!

Do you know what the width of the rim is? Is it 5 in? Gosh I didn't even know E30s had steelies. I thought they all came with bottle-caps

John Capoccia

Sierra Madre, CA

One thing I just learned with my daughter's mishap is that my spare doesn't fit over the E21 rear drums. I went through the trouble of buying a brand new 13 in tire on a stock rim because it fits in the spare tire well, and when I went to use it, it didn't fit. Damn! Had to have the car towed home.

um...why not put the spare on the front and then put the front tire on the back? would have saved a tow for the cost of ten more minutes of changing tires.....

2xM3

um...why not put the spare on the front and then put the front tire on the back? would have saved a tow for the cost of ten more minutes of changing tires.....

Damn! didn't think of it at the time. Five guys standing around trying to help and no one else thought of it either...

John Capoccia

Sierra Madre, CA

factory (either steelies or "turbine" style alloys), it seems very odd that you'd have interference on a 13" wheel - why wouldn't your spare fit?

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

factory (either steelies or "turbine" style alloys), it seems very odd that you'd have interference on a 13" wheel - why wouldn't your spare fit?

Barry, I can only speculate that the E21 steelie was designed to fit over the bigger drum. All I can tell you is that the original steelie that came with my '02 will not clear the outer diameter of the E21 drum.

John Capoccia

Sierra Madre, CA

Both of my cars (1973tii & 1974tii) have E21 rear drum upgrades. The stock 5x13" tii alloys fit over the drums on the '73 and the stock later style 5x13" steel wheels fit over the drums on the '74. Is it the early style steelies that won't fit?

--John

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️