• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Info on this part please?

Polaris

I've looked and can't find info on what, why, etc. the silver cast metal shock tower brace is - when is it used? I see very few pictures with them installed - seem to recall the '74 tii having them - my '72 does not.

Would love to learn more!

post-15694-13667617974646_thumb.jpg

99 M3 Titanium

72 tii Polaris

Guest Anonymous

they were put on US cars to raise the front end to meet some federal mandate - the are under the fender, above the shock, but lots of us removed them, to lower the front end and put them where yours is in the picture because they fit there and maybe reinforce the fender a bit, and help make the 3 bolts fit right.

I can't be sure from the picture, but it appears that the rubber portion of the upper shock mount may be worn. Right where the bubble cap sits on top, the surrounding rubber part should be concave on the top. If these tear, it can mean dents in your hood from the shocks poking up.

I only mention this because, if you do go to replace your upper strut bearings, then you can get the ones with the short mounting bolts (like the Euro cars would have). Otherwise, if you get the replacements with the long bolts, you will have an inch or more of threaded bolts sticking up on the fenders around the strut mounts. Looks hookey and can even grab skin when you're working in there.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Those are mounted under the fender on US cars to raise the bumper height. People stick them on top if they don't shorten the strut bearing studs.

Not just US '02s, but all '02s including Euros.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17