• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dual purpose motorcycle, mid-life crisis advice requested..

edward

Since retiring and moving to the country, I have rediscovered mountain biking, and now am looking at buying an enduro (dual purpose) used motorcycle.

Experienced rider (motocross in the early 70s--RMs, CRs etc..., and rode a BMW r100RS from Toronto to Mexico in the 80s), but am looking for something small and fun to tinker with and ride the gravel roads and EASY trails and right of ways. I want something steet legal so I never have to haul a bike to ride it, and YES I know dual purpose translates to dual useless.

NOT interested in power, aggressive riding, etc. I have no interest in the KDXs or any other peaky, high-in-the-ass type bikes...

So far, there are 3 "camps"

1) Scrambler type 4 strokes--Honda CL series from the seventies---reliable, simple, fun, quiet, sedate, but heavy and poor suspension.

2) Two stroke enduros from the 70s and 80s--Yamaha DT series etc.---

fun, simple, reliable but noisy ring dings and poor suspension

3) 4 stroke enduros from the late 80s and 90s--Honda NX125, Suzuki DR series--good suspension for off road, quiet, reliable, easy to get parts, but lack the cachet of the old bikes, and given the suspension setup, these will invite aggressive riding.

Anybody out there been through this phase of the mid-life crisis and offer suggestions on a good bike to purchase ?

Thanks in advance....

I've got bikes in ALL the categories you mention. Trust me, technology is where it's at. (within reason) At least in the suspension and brake department. If it's a simple bike you're after I'm especially partial to the Honda XR's. Similar to the Suzuki DR's you mentioned but with even better parts availability. I've got an '86 XR250R and an '01 XR250R and although little is interchangable between the two they feel like the same bike. They have ample suspension travel, plenty of power, strong brakes, and are almost indestructible. There's a factory model equipped with street accessories or you can "dual sport' the bike yourself as I did with my '01 model. My brother in law has an '02 XR400R and it's basically the same bike with a little extra grunt. I've got several buddies who ride XR650L's (the street legal version) and are very fond of them. I also bought a Honda CRF450R for those times I feel especially froggy. It's WICKED quick but is less than ideal for DS riding. My real joy is a 2007 BMW G650X Challenge. It's a one year bike but BMW promises full support for at least 15 years. I expect it to be pretty collectible some day. It's fuel injected, makes 53rwhp, gets incredible fuel economy, and has nearly 12" suspension travel F&R. Four drawbacks are a fairly tall seat (I'm 6'2" so no prob for me) The seat is REAL hard (tough on long rides) and the fuel capacity is small for long rides (approx 2.5 gal) and the stock tires (Metzeler Sahara's) suck in the slick stuff. Other than that it's an awesome ride. They stickered new for $8.5K but are commonly available as "new old inventory" at lots of BMW dealers for under $7K. They also have available ABS. I've had several "retro dirtbikes". I still own an '81 Yamaha DT125G that's just beautiful and is GREAT for teaching folks to ride or putting around the neighborhood but the suspension and brakes are just too mild for anything serious. Additionally I like everything KTM makes. Spendy but hey, we're Bimmerphiles right?

HTH

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©

I'm right there with you. I ride a yamaha TTR 250. Any way I think any two stroke is out as sound ,pollution and torque. Alomg time ago I leaned never ride to close behind two strokes. The early bikes of decent Quality usually go for a ton of money because they end up in vintage trials I bought the TTR 250 four stroke and have been very happy. Not the torque of a two. I made a concerted effort to buy a bike that woul not produce broken bones. Been there when younger. My vote would be for mid 90's to 2000 four stroke. The decent thing now is that its a buyers market. Bikes usually go up 25% in spring. Unless of course your in snow free climes. Good luck.

I would stick to Mountain Biking and treat yourself with the all new Blur from Santa Cruz Bicycles. It's has a carbon frame with at least 6" of rear travel. Get a Fox Talas shock up front and you're in for some fun.

But if you really insist on a motorized toy, I would consider this.

http://www.piaggiousa.com/scooters.php#/overview/Piaggio MP3 500

73 Tii A4 BOD Oct. 13,1972

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Mario Andretti

DR-Z 400 FTW!!!. Nice weight, decent power, great wheelies, er , handling .

Buy an extra pair of stock rims with sticky street rubber to switch out for the street and you're set !!

DO IT !!!! DOOOOO IT!!!

Nick

-'65 Riviera

-'66 Chevelle

-'72 '02 project

-'90 GTR missile

-'90 Corrado-422HP @ 22lb.

-'92 Duke 851

-'75 Z-1 Kawi

I've got an 08 yamaha WR250R and love it. It will do 100mph on the highway and rips in the dirt. I used to ride only old 70's bikes and enjoyed them but this is a whole new level.

19a115b7-9760-47c1-af9f-560c2d06e095_zps6ad53ab7.jpg

73 M2 evolving project

77 Datsun 620 king cab hauler

09 XR1200

77 XS650

78 SR500

half dozen ct70s

other wheeled madness

I have to agree the newer four strokes are awesome.

Lighter than the old 2 strokes and just fun to ride!

Trust me the suspension alone on the newer bikes is enough to make them worth it. When you add the handling, brakes, power, reliability its no contest.

My only dual sport is the KTM Adventure AWESOME but more of a street trail bike. I have a yz450f and its unreal. Anything like that would be awesome.

Silence can often be misinterpreted but never misquoted.