• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A/B pillar vinyl and headliner question

worzella

Getting ready to have my headliner installed and lesson # 37 is coming back to haunt me. I tore apart my interior a year ago and did NOT take detailed pix of everything, so I have a couple of questions. Can anybody who has a second to peak at their inside set me straight.

1) Does the top of the A & B pillar vinyl covering go UNDER the headliner or does it go OVER the installed liner with perhaps a nice folded edge at the top?

2) For the headliner installation at the back window top... I *think* I recall that the headliner is glued onto the trailing edge of that cardboard strip that is clipped on the interior above the back window... or does the liner just go over this cardboard completely and get glued to the window frame edge just like the sides and bottom.

Sorry for the dumb questions, but I want to get it straight with my installer.

Thanks,

Randy

1975 - 2366762 Born 7/75

See the whole restoration at:

http://www.rwwbmw2002.shutterfly.com

the tops of the pillars doesn't matter...it is easier to install the headliner and then the pillar pieces...you can simple cut it flush and even with the edge of the headliner...the pinchwelt trim goes across the top anyway...it is not seen

at the rear...the headliner folds over and is glued to the cardboard thing, creating a small gap between the rear of the headliner and the rubber window seal at the top...the trick is calculating how much of the end of the headliner to pull over the cardboard thing and glue...too much and the rear bow won't fit ...to little and you won't be able to stretch it tightly

have fun

at the rear...the headliner folds over and is glued to the cardboard thing, creating a small gap between the rear of the headliner and the rubber window seal at the top...the trick is calculating how much of the end of the headliner to pull over the cardboard thing and glue...too much and the rear bow won't fit ...to little and you won't be able to stretch it tightly

have fun

Hmmm! Is it different on a non-sunroof car Esty? My sunroofed parts car had the headliner glued & clipped to the rear window opening.

Should have your carpet in my Blue '02 by weeks' end. I finally got around to it.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Hmmm! Is it different on a non-sunroof car Esty? My sunroofed parts car had the headliner glued & clipped to the rear window opening.

Should have your carpet in my Blue '02 by weeks' end. I finally got around to it.

anythings possible on the o2...my 72 sunroof car is as i described...i would have thought all were the same...i've never seen one like your car...i suppose the sunroof in some way allows the pressure to escape...which is the purpose of the cardboard piece....it is supposed to prevent air from accumulating under the headliner and blowing it out

or...that's my understanding....which ain't always the right understanding

warm that carpet up some if it's cold in the hill country...it'll make it a lot easier to work with

warm that carpet up some if it's cold in the hill country...it'll make it a lot easier to work with

I'll lay it out in the sun; supposed to get up near 70 tomorrow!

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Interesting --i've never seen a sunroof car with a rear fibreboard panel and those impossible to save clips--i've dismantled my share and all the sunroof cars have had the headliner glued and clipped to the rear windscreen opening. I'm not sure how the venting occurs but the roof structures are different for sunroof cars and cabin pressure is neutralized differently--hence trunk vent plugs for s/r cars and vent tubes for non s/r. Proper venting (plugs in place)apparently will save you from a headliner blowout on a sunroof cars--maybe someone can elaborate?--scoyote

Thanks so much for the info.... and NOW I understand what those little clips are that I ordered over a year ago. I have a non s/r car but when I was ordering the metal fasteners that hold the cardboard panel, I ordered the clips too.

So if anyone needs a set of these clips for free, email me and I'll send them your way.

Randy

1975 - 2366762 Born 7/75

See the whole restoration at:

http://www.rwwbmw2002.shutterfly.com

On sunroof cars the gap created by the opening for the sunroof allows pressure of the cabin to equalize.

If you glue the liner to the rear window opening on a non-sunroof car and drive with the windows open the low pressure in the cabin will suck the liner down on top of your head.

The cardboard thingy allows for a gap so the pressure above and below the headliner can equalize!

Happy New Year!

"Common sense isn't common"