• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brakes brakes Brakes brakes

Frenchee

I noticed my brake fluid reservoir is a under the minimum line. I want to fix this so I can drive it around a bit because I don't feel like driving it and just adding some fluid once in a while.

Is it just the hoses? Its a bit hard to see but the hoses are soaked wet.

PC240288.jpg

PC240287.jpg

PC240286.jpg

PC240285.jpg

M20 Turbo 2002- Sold

1970 2002- Sold

1972 2002 Tii. - Sold

S50 e30- DD

....appears so - the hoses AND the rubber gromets in the master cyl.

when ordering the rubber gromets - ORDER the nylon hose elbows also.

Yours will be trash after pulling them out!

i don't want to know why a light bulb

is jammed in that hose?!?!?

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

....appears so - the hoses AND the rubber gromets in the master cyl.

when ordering the rubber gromets - ORDER the nylon hose elbows also.

Yours will be trash after pulling them out!

i don't want to know why a light bulb

is jammed in that hose?!?!?

Thanks I appreciate the help! Your always first to reply and you seem like you know what your talking about haha! The problem I have is that I never know what parts to get on autohauz. Im not sure if I'm getting the right hose or right gromet etc.

LIGHTBULB Not my fault ;( That is one of the many surprises I have found with this car. That is only one of them my friend... You don't want to know the others. It's used to fill up that hose. I forgot what the hose is for but I need to go to kragens and get something to properly plug it.

M20 Turbo 2002- Sold

1970 2002- Sold

1972 2002 Tii. - Sold

S50 e30- DD

that light bulb takes the cake for one of the whackiest things I've seen in a while. Figure out which hose that is and deal with it appropriately, I'm scared to know.

In terms of which parts to order, this is where someone like Blunt (or even your local dealer) is your friend as he knows these cars well and can help you with part numbers. Don't get me wrong, you can't expect him to do all the legwork for you, but he will likely be able to offer you more guidance than an online retailer. Good luck.

Yea I will ask Blunt hopefully he can guide me.

You think thats a whacky job. Someone posted this in another post on the forum. I had to laugh and it made me feel better about what this lady has done to the car. I don't think she has gone this crazy with it.

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2684546

M20 Turbo 2002- Sold

1970 2002- Sold

1972 2002 Tii. - Sold

S50 e30- DD

French,

Go to this site every time you want to look for a part or need a part number or see how it goes together or even if you want to compare prices.

http://www.bmwmobiletradition-online.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=2233&mospid=47141&btnr=34_0814&hg=34&fg=25

I thought every one knew what that bulb was for:

under hood inspection lite. My 280 Z has one :}

French,

Go to this site every time you want to look for a part or need a part number or see how it goes together or even if you want to compare prices.

http://www.bmwmobiletradition-online.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=2233&mospid=47141&btnr=34_0814&hg=34&fg=25

I thought every one knew what that bulb was for:

under hood inspection lite. My 280 Z has one :}

Sweet It took a while for me to depict the diagram, but I think I got the right part I need. I entered the part number at autohauz and this looks about right

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=yc5qigroxnoyso3uzxnejh2h&partnumber=34311103205

Do you guys think its dangerous if I drive the car and just add fluid until I get the parts to fix it?

M20 Turbo 2002- Sold

1970 2002- Sold

1972 2002 Tii. - Sold

S50 e30- DD

You might consider getting the Bav Auto 1 man bleeding system, for bleeding your brake lines, when you are through repairing that cylinder, or borrow one from a local 02er. I might guess you'll need to do it more frequently, if your brakes look anything like that cylinder. If you haven't bled them yet, you may be in for a surprise how much better they get once you do.

Is this your daily driver?

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

You might consider getting the Bav Auto 1 man bleeding system, for bleeding your brake lines, when you are through repairing that cylinder, or borrow one from a local 02er. I might guess you'll need to do it more frequently, if your brakes look anything like that cylinder. If you haven't bled them yet, you may be in for a surprise how much better they get once you do.

Is this your daily driver?

Well yea its my only car so I would consider it my daily driver. I just got it thats why theres so much crap going on because I'm just starting to fix up all the problems.

The brakes work pretty well but I will take your advice and see if I can bleed them. I will probably do that anyways since I will get new brake fluid so might as well yaknow.

M20 Turbo 2002- Sold

1970 2002- Sold

1972 2002 Tii. - Sold

S50 e30- DD

Do you guys think its dangerous if I drive the car and just add fluid until I get the parts to fix it?

Well - it's not so bad that fluid is just pouring out.

Then again - step back and think about it - it's brakes. What happens if one of those hoses fails while you are driving, and you lose all of your fluid? Bad things.

Then again - by the amount of rust under your master, this is not a new leak.

I would try and get all of the stuff I needed to get this fixed ASAP.

I agree with the others (CD, Scott, etc). You need the following:

Hoses

Hose Clamps

rubber grommets. Make sure you get the ones for the 2002 master, and not the tii master. They are different!

Brake Fluid

Here's the tii booster/master

DSC00708.jpg

And, unless you have a buddy to help you - a 1 man bleeder kit. The Bavarian Autosport one works well.

Find Blunt through the board. He'll be able to round all of that stuff up, plus, he had some of the old school blue hose if you are interested.

Good Luck!

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

Hi,

You may also want to inspect the reservoir as well, it may be the cause of BOTH the lines leaking, it is available as well. I dont think it is absolutely necessary to bleed system if the upper hoses are replaced or the reservoir check the archives or maybe someone will set me staight but those lines are not under pressure.

Ken, Nice engine bay!

FO 2573825

1971 2002, 5-OD, Recaro SE, BBK, 90Amp Alt, Turbines, VDO, Hellas, BD belts, LED Tails, 10 Foot DD

Okay. Can anyone tell me if these are teh right ones? They look good. http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=m2clrdfyfybo045525sbll45&makeid=800003@BMW&modelid=1010709@2002&year=1970&cid=14@Brake%20%26%20Wheel%20Hub&gid=1764@Master%20Cylinder%20Gasket/Grommet

Oh and for that tubing is there another material other than that original one that comes with the car? I feel like metal tubing or rubber would hold up better.

No?

M20 Turbo 2002- Sold

1970 2002- Sold

1972 2002 Tii. - Sold

S50 e30- DD

It's hard for me to tell if those are the right ones. Could be - says "small type".

But - I'm pretty sure that the P/N you need is this one:

It's part # 2 in this diagram:

23.png

As far as the "hose" goes - That's the OE material. There may be better solutions. Try and report back!

Good Luck.

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

It's hard for me to tell if those are the right ones. Could be - says "small type".

But - I'm pretty sure that the P/N you need is this one:

It's part # 2 in this diagram:

23.png

As far as the "hose" goes - That's the OE material. There may be better solutions. Try and report back!

Good Luck.

Ken

Yup ken, thats the same part I'm thinking. Im buying a parts rolling shell with a friend. It has a master cylinder in it, I might swap them just for the hell of it and see how well the other one is. I just need to somehow find that hose. Kragens doesn't have it. I will ask blunt.

M20 Turbo 2002- Sold

1970 2002- Sold

1972 2002 Tii. - Sold

S50 e30- DD

IM GOING TO GO CRAZY. This car was never worth the money I bought it for and I should have been much more careful.

I decided to look under the car and I think this is also part of the brake fluid leak. It was hard for me to take pictures. I think you guys can tell what the pictures are though.

PC250296.jpg

PC250294.jpg

PC250293.jpg

PC250292.jpg

PC250291.jpg

PC250290.jpg

PC250289.jpg

M20 Turbo 2002- Sold

1970 2002- Sold

1972 2002 Tii. - Sold

S50 e30- DD