• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brakes brakes Brakes brakes

Frenchee

looking at your latest pictures i suspect your clutch master cyliner is bad. your pedal box looks rusty and wet. pull your carpet up by the accelerator pedal and peek behind the foam cover. i suspect you'll have much to inspect.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

looking at your latest pictures i suspect your clutch master cyliner is bad. your pedal box looks rusty and wet. pull your carpet up by the accelerator pedal and peek behind the foam cover. i suspect you'll have much to inspect.

Yup its been done. I havent taken recent pictures but I'm stripping the car and the pedal box has some sort of wet oily fluid in it. Im guessing brake fluid... How does it get there idk is it connected to the braking pedal? I dont know much.

M20 Turbo 2002- Sold

1970 2002- Sold

1972 2002 Tii. - Sold

S50 e30- DD

[ the pedal box has some sort of wet oily fluid in it. Im guessing brake fluid... How does it get there idk is it connected to the braking pedal? I dont know much.

if you look at the brake fluid reservoir attached above the master cylinder you should see the two fluid lines going into the brake master cylinder which you've discussed above. to the side of the same brake fluid reservoir is another tube which runs along the side of your inner fender. follow your eye along its length and you will see that it ends up at what is known as the clutch master cylinder. replace this as well since you have so much fluid leaking down there. this job is made easier with another set of hands to hold the nuts still while tightening in your replacement. i've done the job solo before, though.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

If there is a lot of brake fluid in your pedal box (on the interior) then i'd suspect your clutch slave cylinder could also have a leak.

After looking at your car I think that at some point it sat for a long time... The P/O slapped some paint on it and filled the fluids. Rubber grommets and seals were dry and that could be why you have the leaks you are finding. Get your car up on jacks, inspect ALL the brake lines as well as your seals on the slave cylinders (you will have to remove your wheels to do this). I'm afraid of what you might find hidden.

• 11 months later...

WOW !!! my stomach hurts... hahaha!!! Discount tires takes them off for $7, my friend had her Subaru done a couple of weeks ago...

Yea I will ask Blunt hopefully he can guide me.

You think thats a whacky job. Someone posted this in another post on the forum. I had to laugh and it made me feel better about what this lady has done to the car. I don't think she has gone this crazy with it.

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2684546

Time is the ruler of all...

uhh, any VW bug place, 8mm blue brake hose, 2 feet will be overkill.

I don't use hose clamps, just a tie wrap snugged up tight.

There's no pressure there.

Replacing them CAREFULLY will only take 15 minutes, replace

the fluid (no need to bleed) and then seal the lid well

and hose everything off well. Scrubby brush will help.

Then have a nice cold one and contemplate the clutch master...

None of these things will kill you immediately. But procrastination

isn't the best thing when DEATH is on the line! err... yeah...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

The rear of your transmission is leaking horribly. Wonder if you still have any fluid left in it.

Could be:

Speedometer bushing and o-ring seal

Output shaft seal

Reverse light switch

Shift shaft seal

The front of the trans. bellhousing is drippy too. I'd check your distributor housing mount, valve cover gasket and exhaust manifold nuts/studs. Might be a bad rear main seal on the engine.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

• 5 weeks later...
Thanks guys.

I posted this like a year ago and it got bumped up somehow!!

All those problems are fixed now.

Funny how old posts surface like that. What did you end up doing? I'm thinking new brakes in the Spring.

Matt

I needed a car, and a hobby....

Nor'East '02ers-

www.bmw2002.us

Betty VIN 4229155

The original colour was Malaga, paint code 021

SiteNamecopy.jpg

Thanks guys.

Funny how old posts surface like that. What did you end up doing? I'm thinking new brakes in the Spring.

Matt

I needed a car, and a hobby....

Nor'East '02ers-

www.bmw2002.us

Betty VIN 4229155

The original colour was Malaga, paint code 021

SiteNamecopy.jpg

Thanks guys.

Matt

It was pretty easy stopping the leak!

First I ordered those rubber grommets from autohauz and replaced them. Then I used some blue cloth brake fluid tubing from a parts car to replace the one I was using. No more leaking! Simple as that.

Then couple months later I decided to replace the front brakes. Put the bearings in the wrong way. Damaged the spindle.

Put in a new front suspension with new brakes.

Then I got my hand on some coil overs with big brakes and replaced them.

Thats all I've done with brakes as of today.

M20 Turbo 2002- Sold

1970 2002- Sold

1972 2002 Tii. - Sold

S50 e30- DD