• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any woodworkers out there?

72Golf

Woodworker is a bit on the high side for me. I create vast amounts of sawdust and kindling however. I'm not joking...totally.

Do you want to try to do it yourself or do you want to select the type of wood and have a pro do it? Google is your friend here, for the basics at least. I have a friend who did his 3.0CS dash, shift knob and console in tiger maple and it was fantastic.

Where are you located? I have never done woodworking in a car but I have done a lot of veneer. Do not use contact cement for this I think it would fail over time with the tempture changes. I would use Titebond cold press for veneer glue.

Ken

This would be my method:

Start with a template of the console face-- Parker Performance type? (Perhaps you can snag one from somebody on the FAQ.)

Use the template to create backing, either out of MDF or plywood. I'd consider MDF if it was readily available in less than 1/2" thickness. Seems like 1/4" would be plenty. The MDF or ply will give you dimensional stability and some reasonable resistance to fluctuations in moisture w/in your car. I suspect a solid piece would check over time and be thicker than you'd need. And cost more. This ain't furniture or a fine instrument, it's a console. Only needs to look cool on one side.

Get the veneer in a single sheet to cover the console, cut it to match your backing board, then rig up a "press" of sorts with two other pieces of scrap ply and clamps to make a sandwich when you glue it together. I'd use Titebond II or III for glue.

Ideally, you'd have somebody with a CNC table do the cuts-- better accuracy. If you go this route, I'd be happy to do AutoCAD drawings of your console face that could be programmed in. Then the cuts for veneer and backing would be identical.

If CNC is not available, find a buddy with a shop that has a drill press for the circular holes and a fine band saw. I bet plenty of people have done this without shop equipment-- using a dremel or something. I'd imagine that the gauges and stereo will have rings that will cover some slop in the cuts, but I think the outside edges would need to be especially nice if you're using a $$ veneer.

Finishing is another chapter...