• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

loctitie on guibo bolts???

nbristow01

installing my new guibo and putting driveshaft with new center support in. I purchased new #10 strength nylon nuts for the install. Do I need to also use any certain type of loctitie or are the nylon nuts enough?

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

on the edge of the guibo (6 bolt) youll see arrows. i can post a pic if you like as i have a bunch of guibos here. the arrow should point to the flange it attaches to. make sense???

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Guest Anonymous
on the edge of the guibo (6 bolt) youll see arrows. i can post a pic if you like as i have a bunch of guibos here. the arrow should point to the flange it attaches to. make sense???

Steve, you are a good guy and righteous dude. This topic has been covered including the arrow references by the irrepressible BillW. http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,316646/

The answers to most of these questions, in one form or another, including the need for thread locker, are in the shop manual, haynes, chiltons and in the archives.

yes please

please pass the blue Loctite 242

the ' belt & suspenders ' approach

Blunt brings up one of those forgotten details

"arrows" on the side of the guibo point to metal flanges

and leave the metal 'installation' band on till

the very end after everything is tightened up

that guibo better not give a "crunch" "crunch" sound

as you rotate it by hand in the end. If it's "crunching"

and appears to have any sort of wobble as it turns,

you need to shim up or down the trans mount till no

more "crunch" and it rotated in a tru circle with no flexiing.

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Steve I have an 8 hole guibo and see no arrows. My new one will be here tomorrow. I understand I have to keep the flanges perfectly parallel. i plan on mounting the guibo to the trans flange. Slowly work crosswise until all bolts are tight and have the same amount of thread showing past the nut. Then install the shaft the same way working crosswise until all bolts have same amount of threads showing past nuts. I do not have a leveling tool like I have seen used on this sight so I will have to eyeball it as best I can.

Well take that back.....I may go ahead and make a shaft leveling device from a 4 foot piece of pipe and tack 6 inch long thread rod on it at each end and towards the middle...then shim tranny up and down as needed until I can get it as even as possible

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

Guest Anonymous
Methinks you need to invest in THE Manual.

How about ANY manual?

Arrows apply only to reinforced disks and act as a reminder to apply torque where it won't affect (distort) the rubber.

Guest Anonymous

To clarify, as far as I am aware, arrows are found only on reinforced rag disks. Never noticed any on the solid rubber giubos.

Manual is stll an excellent idea.

Guest Anonymous

What took you so long?

the usual sources?

The shop manual frequently appears in the classifieds section and on ebay. It is available on CD. CD could have told you that. Haynes, Chilton, Autobooks, Clymer and Motor all have manuals and even if out of print, most are probably available in the same venue along with Amazon and anyone who sells books or manuals.

Search on line. Borders. Same with MacCartney's books. SOme public libraries carry them too. At the very least, someone recently made available their owner's manual. It has a fair amount of practical information too. The possibilities are many.

As someone who has had the nuts back off and had a guibo explode while in use, I vote loctite, Nylock nuts (or personally the metal "pinch" style that BMW recommended last time I ordered) and double checking everything once you get the new one in there so you aren't back under doing it over again (or replacing a trans) in another 500 miles, checking for flex as has been pointed out above.

GL!

David

Flickr

'74 2002 - The project

'98 M3

'04 Duramax 2500HD