• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

loctitie on guibo bolts???

nbristow01

Just to be clear- the idea behind the arrows is that the nuts (not the bolt head) should go against either flange AND the nuts only should be tightened while the bolt heads are held still. This is a bit difficult and I usually put the car in gear and the e brake on so I can crank the nuts without the bolt turning at all. the reason is if the bolt head turns as it rests against the guibo it will twist the rubber as well causing it to fail prematurely.

best,

pete

One other country to hear from.

I put all the bolts so that the nuts are on the transmission side to prevent a bolt from backing out into the transmission case. I still only turn/twist the bolt head or the nut that is against metal.

The guibo has not failed yet doing that way on my car.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

I put all the bolts so that the nuts are on the transmission side to prevent a bolt from backing out into the transmission case. I still only turn/twist the bolt head or the nut that is against metal.

I have no problem with this approach- Pat Allen also claims this is the way to go. I have never had a bolt backout against the tranny- but i'd rather have the guibo fail than have the tranny get scarred up.....

pete

• 2 weeks later...

I've only had my car for 400 miles from the restorer, and lost a guibo bolt yesterday on the road. It appears the guibo cinched up with coffee can nuts, ie all different, old and used, some locking, some regular, etc. I'm replacing all today but only have the nylon not metal lock nuts so will locktite 242 as extra insurance.

Ceylon-squarie

I've only had my car for 400 miles from the restorer, and lost a guibo bolt yesterday on the road. It appears the guibo cinched up with coffee can nuts, ie all different, old and used, some locking, some regular, etc.

Restorer?? Coffee Can Nuts?? What else needs attention?

Might want to check all your steering and front end nuts. On the Bavaria I just purchased, the castle nut that holds the tie rods to the steering gear arm was finger tight. And the bolt that the brake pedal and clutch pedal pivots on had no nut at all. Another 1/2 inch and the brake pedal would have fallen to the floor! It makes me really angry that this level of negligence exists. Someone can get dead really quick!

John Capoccia

Sierra Madre, CA

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This makes sense, but how do you get proper torque on the nuts? I can only get an open end spanner on the nuts if they are on the transmission side. Any tips? If one were to put a washer on the bolt head/rubber side, would that allow one to turn the bolt head w/o damaging the guibo?

tia

Nate

1973 tii, agave, since 1992

1973 tii block 2763759

1967 Mustang GT fastback, since 1986

1999 Toyota 4Runner, 5 speed, ELocker, Supercharged