• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Results of Schuck's Lockstrip tool...

JackBennett

It sucked.... the head on the tool seems to me to be far too wide for this application and the stamped metal leaves a nice sharp edge to cut a small strip off of the expensive windshield gasket as it slides. I made it about 6 inches before I threw it in the trash.

I hope this is not "bad advice" (HEH). More of a tool review for those like me who didn't want to wait for shipping of the real thing. The cheapo tool from your local parts store in this instance is not worth the 3 bux.

Achtung Lieber Himmel!

1976 Rot und Schwartz daily driver "Otto Q. Gilgamesh"

it is a valid question and I think the answer is yes. The instructions that came with it were minimal at best. I tried it going both directions and also pushing and pulling it. The tool did not look like the one I have used in the past in that instead of a staggered head that rides in the groove it had a pointed, hooked head that really just rips through the groove... I hope that makes some sense. Even had I been able to make use of it for putting in the strip, the little ribbon of gasket it took off as it went was not acceptable to me. No offense taken as this is only the second time I have ever put in a lockstrip and the other was a long time ago.

Achtung Lieber Himmel!

1976 Rot und Schwartz daily driver "Otto Q. Gilgamesh"

You don't need the tools. I tried the tool before too and it sucks and damages the seal. Just insert the lockstrip in the gasket by hand with soap before installing the gasket in around the glass. THen pull the whole thing in with the nylon twine method and a helper to push on the glass as you pull inside...

Jeff
1975 Alfa Romeo GT1300Junior w/1600 transplant (I'm still stuck on 1600's LOL)
2006 M3 White/Red - Orig Owner,6spd,ZCP, sunroof delete
SOLD 1967 1600 #1517644 "Florida"/Brown w/sunroof, SOLD 1968 1600 #1564660, RIP 1970 1600

i used to have a hell of a time installing the lock strip before i used glycerin to lube the gasket first. i have the installation tool from BavAuto which is the same one sold by Lisle at NAPA.

i use the pointed end of a cheap narrow disposable wooden paint brush (1 inch wide or less) dipped in glycerin (available from your local drug store). slide the glycerin-dipped pointed end in the lockstrip groove to lube it and help seat the gasket further if necessary. it helps to ensure the lockstrip is pliable by either setting in the sun or dipping in warm/hot water first.

using this method made an unbearable job VERY easy. and as a bonus, any leftover glycerin can be rubbed on your hardened, sun bleached rubber to refresh it and it also is sold as an aid for constipation, should you find yourself needing a little assistance.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

When i first got my car, the windshield had been replaced. The lockstrip was missing. I spent about 30min of futile curse word laden effort when I gave up and took it to a glass shop. 1hr later and $30 lighter, I was a happy camper. Money well spent...

MJ

75 2002

76 2002

71 F250 camper special

took it to a glass shop. 1hr later and $30 lighter, I was a happy camper. Money well spent...

that is about 45 minutes of lost time compared to what i described above.

i forgot to mention that the glycerin works by lubricating the rubber so that the LOCKSTRIP tool slides more easily within the groove, otherwise, it is apt to cut or damage the windshield gasket as described earlier.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

- just sharing my similar experience and observations -getting in these lock strips is a really tough job under the best conditions. i purchased mine from Blunt and should have taken his suggestion to replace the seals as well. i didnt and found the job one of the most difficult i ve ever done. i also used the Lisle tool mentioned and it worked as well as it could on aged stiff rubber. part of the secret is new pliable seals, lube - windex silicone glycerine, the right sized tool attachment and strong hands. the method of pre-inserting the lock strip then mounting the windshield using the cordage is the BMW manual directed method.

as good as i think my mechanical skills and techniques are, I am constantly humbled by my 02!

Dave in Baltim02e Maryland USA
1969 2002 Sahara  Manila  :)

1966 WM300 Dodge Power Wagon-Valley Green; 1972 Airstream Overlander; 1997 JDM Honda Prelude; 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 tow vehicle to tow home all the above junk!