• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do I drive an "E6" ?

Guest Anonymous

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Colorado car with the "E sticker" is a '72 tii that was for sale in Maryland a few years ago (VIN # 2762557). The owner (CCA member) took delivery in England, drove it around Europe for a while, then had it shipped to the U.S., where he drove it until about 1986. Odometer read 117,205 miles. His family told me some wonderful stories about the car when I looked at it. Too bad it was so rusty, or else I would have bought it.

Here is the owner's last entries in his notebook (mileage should have been 117,090 at the last fill-up).

pics9708009.jpg

pics9708023.jpg

pics9708022.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Guest Anonymous
Here is another list of codes

http://www.bmwarchiv.de/e-code/index.html

Problem with the list is that it is authoritative - except when it's not. It illustrates my original point regarding misinformation. Most glaring is omission regarding MikeS and semi-aquatic rodents aka castor canadensis.

For example:

"1968-1975 E-10 2002-2002tii Serie" (Thus, the square tail was made in 1968?)

"1973-1975 E-10/73 Facelift E10 Serie" (Seems to confirm that M10 covers the entire line.)

"1966-1977 114 1502-1802 Serie" (Implies that 114 designation may have been connected to engine displacement)

Leaving no piece of trivia unscathed, let me make some additional conspiratorially minded observations, probably deserving or their own posts.

According to this same authoritative list, "Type 121" was evidently produced as a "Serie" between 1966-1972 and was also known as 2000, 2000 tii. Could the type "121" have something to do with the 121ti and 121 stamping found on (bathtub) cylinder heads (wait for it) coincidentally found on M10 engines of - the same period? (To see if any aspiring high school graduate actually reads and comprehends - let us connect the dots: BMW - Bob Marley and the Wailers. How many times will someone repeat this earth-shattering discovery?) Which came first?

Next, should reference to a 2000 tii include a 4dr vehicle and a 2 dr vehicle and why? Ans: when the words "door" and "litre" become interchangeable as was recently explained to me by a parts counterman at a dealership? (His expertise is older "M" cars) But more to the point, since this model (or at least the one I owned) had rectangular tail lights (or is it tale lights?) the car is a facelift and qualifies as an "E10 hybrid?" (If only I could have produced Otis' BMW - rocket, and asked if parts were still available, it might have sent him to orbit another dealership or hangar.)