• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who is the attributed designer of the 2002?

BillWilliams

I think the information is in the BMW Cult Car book somewhere.

There were two in-house designers working under the direction of Hofmeister who penned the 1600-2 using NK mechanicals and a shortened wheelbase. The lead designer's name was Georg Bertram.

Michelotti, who is often given credit for the 1600-2 design had nothing to do with the series. However, the BMW 700 distinctly shows its Michelotti design heritage.

D

700.jpg

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

those two pages show the final rendering of the 02 series body, attributed to Georg Bertram. His signature is also on the Touring rendering on the following two pages. More details on pages 20 and 21...

BTW, apropos of the discussion yesterday on the 02 series E number, page 20 states "...it was decided to build a two door compact with a cpaacity of between 1300 and 1500 cc, under design code E114, which was to be ready for mass production by autumn 1965 and intended to fill a niche well below the New Class."

Should pretty well solve the E code arguement...

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I bet Alex Von Faulkenhausen had something to do with it as well....Hoffmeister was definitely involved. I truly believe it was a collaborative effort for the design of the new class cars, including the '02.

Hoffmeister had to be involved because his "kink" is there.

The 700 is also attributed to Michelotti, and looking at the car, one can see the basis for the later '02 sedan.

I suspect everyone is correct, as a "design team" would have been used rather than a one-man exercise. I guess the "team leader" would take the accolades.

www.bmwism.com/bmw_designers.htm

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

BTW, the second designer who worked with Georg Bertram under Hofmeister's guidance was Manfred Rennen.

I keep seeing references to Michelotti's aide in design of the 1600-2, but it would be hard to actually say exactly just how much. Given BMW's thrifty management after the development costs of the NK cars, whatever help they got from outside sources must have been free or nearly so.

Further, there are indications Michelotti worked on the Touring models, as well.

Boxy little cars of the sixties are just boxy little cars, IMO. Cars by NSU, like the K70 for example, were of similar proportion.

The BMW 02 series is also said to have been influenced by the American Corvair.

drawing_by_georg_bertram_bmw_2002_may_4_1965__.jpg

D

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

In the book The Complete Book of BMW on page 60, the design drawing (in Delia's post) gives credit to George Bertram. Looks like the drawing is dated 4.5.65 (or May 4th, 1965).

Page 42 shows a picture with (7) gentlemen posed with a 1500 (drawing, trophy and flowers are on the hood). The photo notes say: "Key figures clustered around this award-winning 1500 in 1963: engine designer and racing driver Alex Von Falkenhausen (second from left), styling chief Wilhelm Hofmeister (fourth from right) and sales director Paul Hahnemann (right).

Page 65 gives credit to the mid-engined Turbo concept car to BMW studio head Paul Braque.

This photo seems to be in lots of publications

BMWVisionaries.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

There is a Stag at a used car lot in Sacramento.

Norm

Best thing to do is to leave it there... (as a Brit am I allowed to say that?!)

NOw that is NOT bad advise!

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

• 7 years later...

seven years later we see more credit given to Giovanni Michelotti. Looks like design by committee, though I do like the thought an Italian was involved!

https://petrolicious.com/articles/giovanni-michelotti-was-a-prolific-masterful-designer

Edited by joebarthlow

1974 BMW 2002 (Polaris > Sienabraun)

The photo description is incorrect, Alex von Falkenhausen, the father of the M 10 motor is at the very forward end of the new class BMW 1500, on the far right in the picture.

Best regards, Peter

The First thing is to have an untroubled mind. The Second thing is to know your purpose. Illigitimati Non Carborundum

12 hours ago, tisalover said:

The photo description is incorrect, Alex von Falkenhausen, the father of the M 10 motor is at the very forward end of the new class BMW 1500, on the far right in the picture.

The photo was cropped as we see it there.  "Page 42 shows a picture with (7) gentlemen posed with a 1500 (drawing, trophy and flowers are on the hood)." 

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif