• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ti Lux

daniswaytough

found this while searching the web for 1800ti's

not mine, no affiliation, yada yada yada

http://montana.craigslist.org/cto/1544422272.html

looks cool though. i'd really like a 1800 to cruise around with my friends. maybe i'll give the 02 a couple extra of doors...

and whats the story with the lux's? are they just more luxurious versions of the base model?

anywyays hopes someone finds it useful

needy and demanding 72 02 known as Madame Von Kiki

Humorous - but truthful disclaimer first: I'm no expert but have read about the "lux" versions of these cars in Mike MaCartney's restoration book. I believe Sherman Martinez owns/did own one.

Lux cars featured velour upholstery, woodgrain dash trim, special door panels and a fold-down rear seat center armrest. I understand none were documented by the factory so their total numbers are questionable.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Royal Red 69 VW Squareback built 8/13/68 “Patty”

That car looks to be near 100% correct and I while I wish I could act on it, $ wise I'm not in the position to do so.

Nothing on the 2000 models was ever set in stone based on the cars I either owned or looked at even in junk yards.

A good for instance has been FinkBuilts recent post about NK and early 6's drive shafts, the 3 cars I had had 3 different drive shafts! Sure they were different years but they had (A) no guibo, (B) guibo in rear © guibo in front! I've seen 3 different brake boosters and 2 different rear axles.

Based on what I know all Tilux'es had the "2000TI" scribt on the left front grille, they should have the front hood trim with 6 black painted indents in the leading edge. (some Straight 2000's have this, some don't)

All Tilux'es had the full aluminum rocker panel covers while straight 2000's may have this or the smaller 3/4"ish straight trim, or nothing at all.

All Tilux'es should have 5 1/2" wide rims while most straight 2000's had 5'' wide rims.

Most Tilux'es had the shallow hubcap with a black painted outer rim around the roundel with snap-on trim rings with 4 vents. Most straight 2000's had a much fatter hubcap with or with out trim rings.

All Tilux'es had or should have a center console with the ashtray in it and not the dash near the speaker, I've seen most of these cars with Tach in center and no clocks. Vinyl seating seemed much more common to me in the Lux model than velour.(extra cost option?) All 2000's seemed to have the rear arm rest including the Tilux.

The walnut door piping should be found on all Tilux, seemed to be hit or miss on Straights (supply? Option?)

Heated rear window you should find in an Tilux and was hit or miss in a straight 2000.

Basically the interiors were the same except that a Tilux would have tin brown covers on the speedo/Tach/guages to match the Walnut dash while most straights had a black or silver-grey face on all guages. Most straight 2000's came with a clock instead of the tach in the center.

In the trunk most Lux models along with the straights had the floor board covers while all Lux models also had the grey plastic covers behind the rear seat and up and over the shock mounts to finish it off.

A small detail I've noticed on the Tilux is that opposed to Straights is that the lugnut wrench/hubcap puller should have a Blue plastic handle and not either black plastic or none at all.

Also while hard to see unless you have them in front of you, on the Tilux model the actual "2000" badge on the rear of car is a slightly thinner in the numbers than the badge on a straight 2000, but the overall outline is the same.

On all Tilux that I've seen the rear roundel was mounted off to the right hand of center, while on a straight 2000 it could be on either side of the plate.

The car in question on C.L. looks very-very authentic to me.

All in All atleast in N.J. though it seemed that 1800's out sold the 2000 models by 2 to 1, I say this based on ads, cars I saw first hand in junkyards or for sale in the past.

Edit, other things I forgot while writing original post. The Tilux trunk was carpeted while the regular car may or may not be. The Tilux key set for doors and ignition were often much thinner than later 2000's and all 02's, though the trunk key always never seemed to change.

The 2 cars I had the Vin# started 145 and the model "2000 Ti" only and never actually mentioned Lux.

67 2000 Tilux.

66 2000 Tilux.

67 1600 6-volt.

71 Straight 2000 , last NK I ever drove, her right hand shock tower totally fell apart on April 1st 1990! This is no joke!

82 320I

87 535IS, my beloved ''Giesella" that I've had for 16.5+ years.

Did I hear someone say something about looking for an 1800? There should be one available in the next month or so, in the bay area, no less. It's not nearly as pretty as the tilux in Montana, but it should be only a fraction of the price.

NK sedan bodies came in basically two styles, the 1500/1600/1800 version with the dual round headlights (looks like a wider 2002 up front) and narrow "vertical" taillights, and the 2000/tilux/tii version with the big rectangular headlights (non US only) or quad headlights (US) and wide "horizontal" taillights. The 2000 sedan in 1966 was the first NK model with the later style body. BMW kept the earlier style in production, however, and when they introduced the 2000TI, they used the earlier 1800 style body and installed the twin carb 2 liter motor, supposedly to keep costs down and be able to sell the 2000TI for only a little more than the fancier, newer looking 2000 sedan. When BMW stuck the TI motor into the newer style 2000 body, the lux designation was added and the 2000tilux was born.