• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Question... To Bumper Or not To Bumper?

Frenchee

The bigger concern I would have would be with possible insurance issues. I had a friend years ago in Houston who had removed his front bumper on his 02, and was soon after involved in a front end collision. His insurance company claimed that he had sustained greater damage because of the bumper being removed. Not fun, and he ended up getting less than full coverage for damages. Tread lightly...

Wow interesting. Makes sense.

M20 Turbo 2002- Sold

1970 2002- Sold

1972 2002 Tii. - Sold

S50 e30- DD

When I lived in Boston and used an '02 as a DD, I had a '75 precisely because those bridge abutment bumpers were fairly functional in protecting the car from "parking by feel."

These days I don't rely on an '02 for commuting, so I can go back to roundies and little chrome bumpers, which far more set my heart a flutter.

That having been said, I've rarely liked the look of '02s -- either roundies or squaries -- without their front bumpers. The lines don't look right. The squarish body design all of a sudden has this unnaturally slanted shark nose. But like a shark with its teeth out. If the whole car is done up with an air dam and fender flares, then there's some context to the absent bumper. But when it's just a missing bumper, I think it calls a lot of attention to itself and looks like... a missing bumper.

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1988 FrankenThirty 325is, 1999 M Coupe, 1999 Z3, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

how about one of these, a bumper (not really) and an air dam, I am not sure where you can get a new one, I got this one from one of my part cars:

Bacchus

Thats what I have been looking for but I cant seem to find it.

M20 Turbo 2002- Sold

1970 2002- Sold

1972 2002 Tii. - Sold

S50 e30- DD

how about one of these, a bumper (not really) and an air dam, I am not sure where you can get a new one, I got this one from one of my part cars:

That's what I have been looking for but I cant seem to find it.

Pierre sells copies of that Kamei spoiler.....

http://home.roadrunner.com/~pchamaa/kamei_repro_spoiler.htm

Enjoy!

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Just did body work and paint on my 76' and coming from a '69 roundie, I had to lose the awkward US bumpers. Even though I know in a fender bender they actually will protect the car. Anyway, the Euro chrome bumpers going on soon as the last parts come together. I'll install the rear bumper first and go front bumperless for a bit, so I went ahead and just filled in the huge gaping '74-'76 front valence openings when I did the body work. Yes, it will be tricky cutting the slots for the front brackets on fresh paint, but there's enough touch ups to be done anyway I 'm not worried. The rear looks terrible without bumpers, the front look I kind of like...for awhile.

post-16993-13667618971225_thumb.jpg

post-16993-13667618975484_thumb.jpg

Ceylon-squarie

Just did body work and paint on my 76' and coming from a '69 roundie, I had to lose the awkward US bumpers. Even though I know in a fender bender they actually will protect the car. Anyway, the Euro chrome bumpers going on soon as the last parts come together. I'll install the rear bumper first and go front bumperless for a bit, so I went ahead and just filled in the huge gaping '74-'76 front valence openings when I did the body work. Yes, it will be tricky cutting the slots for the front brackets on fresh paint, but there's enough touch ups to be done anyway I 'm not worried. The rear looks terrible without bumpers, the front look I kind of like...for awhile.

post-16993-13667618979846_thumb.jpg

post-16993-13667618983524_thumb.jpg

Ceylon-squarie