• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I got a speeding ticket today :(

FunElan

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In California if you opt to fight the ticket you will lose the ability to go to traffic school, if you lose you have to take the full fine and the points. Best thing to do at your age is bite the bullet and go to traffic school because your insurance will go through the roof if you get the points. If you are not eligible for traffic school because of your speed (25 miles over the limit) the judge can reduce the speed on your ticked to allow you to go to traffic school if you show up for court and are nice and ask for it, if you are close to the limit and have a clear record the judge will usually do it.

With traffic school you have to pay the full amount of the ticket (judge isn't allowed to reduce it, which sucks!) plus $52 plus the cost of traffic school (not really expensive, you can do them online in your spare time) whereas if you plead guilty and take the points the judge has the discretion to reduce the fine and probably will but in the long run that will cost you alot more in insurance especially at your age(the points stick around on your record for 3-7 years).

After you complete traffic school you need to be really careful for the next 18 months because you can't go to traffic school again during that time.

Traffic School Rules: http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/rules/index.cfm?title=four&linkid=rule4_104

That is my $.02

74 Golf

Ray,

For some reason when I do street view, the url doesn't change, however the link you posted was the exact hill I was on (actually in front of a sweet house with a turntable driveway). If you go west, down the hill, you'll pass Highview st, and Fisher st, the two streets he mentioned. Then you'll get to valley, which is the bottom of the hill. Pacific is the top.

-Matt

'68 Caribe 1600-1563167

In California if you opt to fight the ticket you will lose the ability to go to traffic school, if you lose you have to take the full fine and the points.

This is not true. I have contested a ticket via Trial by Written Declaration, and after losing there, I asked for a trial de novo, plead guilty, paid my fine and attended traffic school.

Now, had I shown up to court to contest it, then I may have given up my chance at traffic school.

David

Flickr

'74 2002 - The project

'98 M3

'04 Duramax 2500HD