• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This could be worth a look!

Mark92131

SOLD! I had called on this and he said he just sold it for $5000 with about $20,000 in parts.

Said it was Sahara/ black?

Not sure how much of the story I believed...but it is now off the market.

Look for parts to be sold off on EBAY!!

-mpkwy

CARS:Past

1966 VW Bug

1971 2002 (BOUGHT IN 1972) (totaled, back in my sordid youth)

1975 2002 (mntgrun (sold)

1973 2002 (Sahara, unmolested, Sold, sniff-sniff)

asst Honda accords and Outbacks

Current:

06 Outback

04 Camry

I purchased it and brought it home last night.

Its a tough story for the seller, a guy who has kept this car for 20+ years, and has an encyclopedic knowledge of '02's as anyone could imagine. He is a really great guy and I wished he was my neighbor instead of being 70 miles away.

He and his brother restored and raced as many as 70+ of these cars over the years for themselves and others. My son, his friend and I are cataloging a 17' U-haul's worth of parts that took 4 of us 3 hours to load.

This will take some time to go through properly and record serial numbers take pictures and so forth.

Between what we think we have and what I have accumulated there will be two cars:

1972 tii full restored (his personal car) and yes it is completely rust free, in Sahara 006 which will go to the shop next week to replace the LR qtr , rear panel, front fender & hood (all BMW stickered and in black primer) which were included. In common sense and in tribute to it's 3rd owner it will be kept bone stock, and since I bought my 1st new '02 in '72 I pretty well know what that is. It will keep the black interior and will use the velour & leather seats I have bought last winter another FAQ'r in Connecticut and free up my guest room in the house, and that until I find an A-1 set of regular original vinyl seats to match the rear.

1976 turbo clone, in Chamonix (my present car) : All pipes are there, including a turbo manifold and the KKK turbo (with nil play), the turbo oil filter housing and an oil cooler from a 635. Missing is a turbo K-fish pump and an airbox (but it may well be in the pile) We will use the nearly-new Recaros that are in the tii.

I neither intend to keep parts I do not need nor will I offer for sale anything on EBay. Everything will be posted and hopefully sold here.

In this mix (of note so far):

8 manual transmissions, one of which is a close-ratio 5-speed

4 or 5 differentials, one of which is from a Bavaria

Several steering boxes one or more of which is a close-ratio ZF

3 or 4 tii intake plenums and fittings

8 driveshafts

1 nicely blown piston that for a very short time did 8000 rpm

Everything is either new (BMW) with sticker or from a running take-out, he did not store junk.

From my previous parts pile I am happy to sell a complete '74 tii rear complete from side to side which was also stored inside for 10-15 years. I was planning to have it blasted and powder coated but if anyone wants it as is email me at nychart (at) hotmail dot com. I also have a complete set of bottle-cap alloys that need a good home that came with the donor tii.

This is heavy and bulky so it should be pickup from 10509.

I will also sell the struts but only when I am sure they are surplus to my needs.

I offered to let the PO take the Chamonix as his own so he and his kids can use & enjoy it (I dont really drive it in the winter) but right now the whole thing is so sad he said 'no thanks'.

I'll be posting pics from start to finish of both projects.

Is fuel efficiency really what we need most desperately? I say what we really need is a car that can be shot when it breaks down.

- George Carlin

Then the story about 70+ cars was accurate! I had him on the phone for about 20 min and he went through the story about how the economy had taken its toll on his business, and with 4 kids he needed to make a decision.

I will kick myself for not getting to him sooner, BUT I do not have the room or the knowledge to put to good use the all that came with this haul.

Great Find!

mpkwy

CARS:Past

1966 VW Bug

1971 2002 (BOUGHT IN 1972) (totaled, back in my sordid youth)

1975 2002 (mntgrun (sold)

1973 2002 (Sahara, unmolested, Sold, sniff-sniff)

asst Honda accords and Outbacks

Current:

06 Outback

04 Camry

Gordon, Mosholu and anyone else:

Send me an email with your contact dets and and a wishlist to:

NYCHART at HOTMAIL dot COM

As soon as I have catalogued everything I'll just take names 1st come 1st served off the list of whatever will be surplus and post the rest in Parts.

It will be easier for people on this board to send me what they are looking for all together, door handles and locks with keys, miscellaneous bolts, driveshafts, whatever.

I am getting started tomorrow morning, weather permitting but it will take some time I am sure, until I can get back to people so please be patient. I am fortunate and happy to give back to the FAQ for all the help I've gotten thru the years.

Not to mention when Annie comes back from vacation tmw the quicker the project becomes a car the happier our home will be...

Hopefully the tii goes to the shop early next week.

Look for pic's tomorrow in General Discussion.

Is fuel efficiency really what we need most desperately? I say what we really need is a car that can be shot when it breaks down.

- George Carlin

I may actually have been the first call (I'm up in Boston), and I heard the story about the basic condition of the car and all of the parts, but I was waiting for him to send me some photos. Initially I was prepared to drive my work truck and 32' trailer down there, but when I heard that the car had been rear-ended and that the front fenders were off, it went from drop-everything-and-drive-down-there to... probably for the best. Sounds like it went to a great home.

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1988 FrankenThirty 325is, 1999 M Coupe, 1999 Z3, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

It's a light hit to the lr with a buckling of the panel just over the lr wheel arch but it doesn't matter since both the rear and full quarter panels (from rocker to roof) are both included and will be replaced. The drivers door doesn't close as nicely as the passenger door which just clicks shut perfectly, so likely the frame will need a pull.

The car is a time capsule in that Bill had replaced the headlight buckets with new BMW and had already welded a fishplate to the steering box support and then dropped everything.

And, just as the ad said, there is absolutely no rust.

I'm in the shipping business so I am going to weld some baby zinc's here and there inside the voids to keep it that way. I don't know why it isn't done to begin with

Thanks for the kind words and have already started the list and each person is getting a reply from me with a sequence number so they know where they stand on stuff.

- George Carlin