• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replacement tii fuel pump?

Andy74tii

Does anyone out there know if this is really a direct replacement for the tii? Or does it require modifications in wiring, etc., per the Keith Kreeger method? Let me know if you know. Thanks,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Delphi-FUEL-PUMP-bmw-2002TII-72-74-73-1973-part-auto_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1e59faf428QQitemZ130358637608QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Andy74tii

FAQ Member #126

Does anyone out there know if this is really a direct replacement for the tii? Or does it require modifications in wiring, etc., per the Keith Kreeger method? Let me know if you know. Thanks,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Delphi-FUEL-PUMP-bmw-2002TII-72-74-73-1973-part-auto_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1e59faf428QQitemZ130358637608QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Andy74tii

I used an early 5 series pump per Keith's suggestions. They are available on ebay for dirt cheap (all Bosch but not made in Germany!). Do not pay over 80 bucks.

According to the ebay ad, it's a "Direct OE replacement". If it matches their photo, it most certainly is NOT a direct Replacement. Assuming they provide parts and instructions for the conversion, it might be a reasonable hack, but it is definitely not OE or a direct replacement.

My personal policy is to avoid dealing with vendors who make misleading statements.

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators

just so you know, and that may be a perfectly fine pump but its a chinese made replica of a bosch. cost on that bosch pump thru worldpac is 120ish

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Wow this looks like the pump I paid twice as much for through a BMW supplier to replace my stock tii pump. For an older 535 i believe. I followed method of pigtailing leads onto the stock harness plug instead of cutting it. You can shim it to fit the stock tank. So far it works great.....

OOPS - just saw the post that it is a chinese made replica. Damn, it looks exact...be careful out there...

Hooked on 2002 since my first one bought new in 1972

Wow this looks like the pump I paid twice as much for through a BMW supplier to replace my stock tii pump. For an older 535 i believe. I followed method of pigtailing leads onto the stock harness plug instead of cutting it. You can shim it to fit the stock tank. So far it works great.....

OOPS - just saw the post that it is a chinese made replica. Damn, it looks exact...be careful out there...

I would like to put a spare pump in my car as I take long trips. Do the instructions for the mods to the pump exist somewhere

70 M2 2.5L 

• 3 years later...

Hope you can tell me what I might be doing wrong...

Had original fuel pump on my '73 tii go bad (leaking from electrical connector). Read the threads and decided to go with the retrofit outlined by Keith Kreeger referenced here. As noted in the procedure, one problem is that the new pump outlet is at the rear end, not off the side like the original. The author recommended turning new pump around so the inlet from tank is toward the rear of the car, with the outlet toward the front and re-routing the hose to the cannister.

I tried this, but found that having the large inlet hose toward the rear would cause it to touch the rotating flange on the differential. I noticed the picture of his car showed it to be a '74 or later, so is there perhaps a difference in the spacing around the pump vs. that on a '73?

So I had to install it the original way, with the inlet hose facing forward. But even having the smaller outlet hose facing the rear, that hose is still within about 1/4 inch of the rotating differential flange. This is too close for a fuel line next to a piece of rotating machinery, in my opinion. The pump has some movement on its rubber mounts and the differential undoubtedly moves some, given the diff. carrier also has rubber mounts to the body. I tried sliding the pump in the bracket as far forward in the car as I could and still get the inlet hose on, but clearance is still too tight.

Any suggestions? Have others found a way to work around this? Or am I doomed to pay Mesa either $750 for a new pump or even $550 for a rebuild? Thx.