• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Summer car.....BMW Z3 (1.9l) vs Audi TT roadster(1.8t)

edward

Considering a modern (10 year old) convertible for the summer for the lovely Margaret. The choices are narrowed to the BMW and Audi.....Performance is NOT a consideration, but reliability and operating costs are....

Any recommendations or experiences?????? I recommended a Miata, but that went nowhere......

I own an import auto repair shop. Audi TT's are job security for me. In the shop frequently. Typical scenario (two cars in my shop RIGHT now) '97 Z3 (115K miles) needs brake pads, front and rear, front rotors and pad wear sensors. '01 Auti TT 1.8 turbo, (93K miles) Timing belt broken (owners manual says can go until 105K) This customer got LUCKY and valve job along with timing belt (etc.) replacement will cost $2584.00. I say the customer got lucky because often when a timing belt breaks, the 1.8 turbo will snap the heads off the valves off and they'll get rammed through the piston crowns! I'd frickin' RUN from any VW / Audi product. Sorry for any hurt feelings.

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©

I own an import auto repair shop. Audi TT's are job security for me. In the shop frequently. Typical scenario (two cars in my shop RIGHT now) '97 Z3 (115K miles) needs brake pads, front and rear, front rotors and pad wear sensors. '01 Auti TT 1.8 turbo, (93K miles) Timing belt broken (owners manual says can go until 105K) This customer got LUCKY and valve job along with timing belt (etc.) replacement will cost $2584.00. I say the customer got lucky because often when a timing belt breaks, the 1.8 turbo will snap the heads off the valves off and they'll get rammed through the piston crowns! I'd frickin' RUN from any VW / Audi product. Sorry for any hurt feelings.

I have driven VW's since the mid 60's. I have great beetle stories. Always thought VW to be a good value. The best car I've ever owned was a 1.8l 87 Jetta Wolfsbug. That especially after I blew the motor with 165k (my fault) and put a 2.0 litre with the 8v digifant head. That car was a blast. Both my girls learned to drive on it and loved it. Subsequently, I bought a 92 Passat wagon, 94 GLX (one of the first 300 and made in Germany) and a 99 1.8T Passat. I am a slow learner apparently. All had major electrical issues. The 99 was an incredible pos and I ended up with the "oil sludge" problem...and I change the oil. VW, and the dealer (same for all four new cars) did not give a damn. I believe I'm done with them!

If the lovely Margaret is like my lovely Sarah, Rachel, Emily or Karen just watch the power window buttons on the Z3 for spillage. We have had 2 Z3s and my girls loved them. My son banged his head on the top bows. 2 handed top operation for my girls one handed for my son and I. 1.9 liters of fun in the sun with great fuel economy.

I recommended a Miata, but that went nowhere......

Yeah, thats definitely what I'd go with... its lighter and a much better value with rock solid reliability. I can see where the BMW or the Audi would be more of a status symbol or something, and thats hard to get around. You could try finding one of the classy looking special edition miatas in deep purple with leather trim and shit. There was a nice gunmetal grey one with brown leather, too.

I'd trick her into driving one somehow, is what I'd do... maybe just say its for 'comparison,' and maybe she'll be hooked.

My old 1.6L is still going strong, despite the fact that I gave up doing usual maintenance on it years ago and am just running it into the ground as a winter car (rust is too deep from Ohio winters). It can still outhandle any car on the road, and starts right up and runs like a charm at only 130K miles. I did the timing belt and such at 80K as a precaution, but its a non-interference engine so it'll just leave you stranded if it breaks with no risk of engine damage.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

As far as your choices I'd go with the Z3 1.9. As Peter Egan says "It's a great car that you can drive fast but doesn't go fast accidentally." Kinda like my e30 318is.

I also vote for the Miata. My Mom has a 97 with 28K miles on it. The 97 is the last year of the first gen body and it has the 1.8 motor with a torsen diff. It is hands down the best real sports car ever made.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades