• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

looking into getting a truck

ianD

I'm thinking ofretiring my deuce as the daily driver and am looking into getting a small 2 wheel drive 4 cylinder truck. Right now I'm thinking a toyota or a ford ranger from the mid-90's. Anybody have any thoughts or opinions on these vehicles? Common problems? Things to look out for? All advice is much appreciated, thanks.

My daily driver is a 1991 Ford Ranger - 4 liter V6 with a 5 Speed manual, Hand crank windows & no power locks. I'm a firm believer in sticking to "basic" vehicles if you want a LONG term driver.

The Ranger has been very reliable - beyond the standard Oil changes, brake pad changes, etc. in 257k miles - I've replaced the starter, alternator, & rebuilt the transmission (my fault for letting the tranny run low on lube).

Engine management is sophisticated enough to give good driveability without being overly sensitive like current OBD systems. Still managed to pass smog a year ago (barely) - probably needs a new CAT (not bad considering it had 245k miles at the time)

Found out (from personal experience) Ranger's with manual transmissions may develop cracks on the firewall where the clutch master cylinder is bolted. All that clutching action essentially causes fatigue cracks to form at the firewall. I had the firewall cracks repaired +100k ago and haven't had a problem since.

Andy W.

'72 Tii & '74 Tii

'88 M3 & '91 318is

If you're going for a mid-90's Toyota, watch for frame rust. There was a major recall recently that's been well documented on-line. (Chances are that's not a problem in your location, but it might be wise to look.)

I drive Toyotas at both ends of that spectrum-- 1987 4x4 22r 4cyl work truck and 2004 V6 5spd 4x4. Both are extremely reliable. 87 has a rusty bed and few amenities, but I love it. I have done nothing but regular maintenance to the '04 since buying it new-- never another repair of any sort outside of brakes, timing belt, tune ups, batt, fluid changes and tires. I'm at 115k.

jb

A big plus 1 on the Ranger. I bought a 96 Ranger, std box, 4 cyl 2.3L (Mazda?) engine, 5 spd. bare bones Betty with 75K on it five years ago for $3K. Aside from new tires and a starter and the occasional oil change, I haven't done anything but drive it. It now has 122K and going real strong. Gets about as good gas mileage as my '02s, mid-twenties.

Great parts hauler but I can't tow anything much bigger than a Radio Flyer.

Fritz Bimmer

72 Golf

73 Chamonix

66 P car

we've owned most small trucks available and settyled on the nissan...hubby and i both drive one and love them...

they will last forever as long as you keep oil in them...are economical and very peppy

hubby's is an 87 with 320k miles on the original engine and i'd drive it from coast to coast without giving a second thought