• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Instrument Cluster

Frenchee

Right!

... Providing you have removed the 2 thumbscrews as shown in the pic here:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/content/view/72/32/

Cheers,

Ray

Nope, just take off the speedo cable behind the center gauge. Then it should just pull out far enough to undo all the wires to the gauges.

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

... which you unfasten right after you remove the kneepad from the underside of the steering column covers, followed by removing the two cardboard covers under the left side of the dash. It's just a bunch of screws, but keep track of which goes where.

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators

That too!

;-)

... which you unfasten right after you remove the kneepad from the underside of the steering column covers, followed by removing the two cardboard covers under the left side of the dash. It's just a bunch of screws, but keep track of which goes where.

Ray

That too!

;-)

You could also remove the front seat to give you more room for when you try and get the cable back on to the speedo when you're done. Hehe.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

First, get a car....

;-)

That too!

;-)

You could also remove the front seat to give you more room for when you try and get the cable back on to the speedo when you're done. Hehe.

Ray

The multi-pin connector will be tough to remove from the cluster. You will also have to remove the single wire connector for the tachometer and 3-pin one for the clock (if so equipped).

Some pictures might help.

pics11609004.jpg

pics11609001.jpg

Center black-colored connector is for the tachometer (IIRC).

pics11609002.jpg

See those (2) vertical slots in the dash metal? Those holes accept the long threaded studs sticking out of the center speedometer gauge. The (2) knurled nuts secure the entire assembly in place. Sometimes you have to fiddle with the cluster to re-install it. The large oval hole is where the speedometer cable fits.

pics11609005.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

First, get a car....

;-)

... after you've gotten a life

Dirk

BMW Classic Car Club of America - www.bmwccca.com

'73 2002 tii - '72 2002 (targa) Cabriolet - '71 2002 (voll) Cabriolet - '71 2002 Rally - '71 2002 Alpina A2 - '70 2002 ti - '68 1600 GT - '65 1800 TI

That too!

;-)

Can you take out the seat without removing the track? tx

Hooked on 2002 since my first one bought new in 1972

I'm taking out the cluster now and I got the 2 thumb screws and speedo cable but it wont come out. I think im going to tug harder on it . Its broken anyways so not much to lose.

M20 Turbo 2002- Sold

1970 2002- Sold

1972 2002 Tii. - Sold

S50 e30- DD

I'm taking out the cluster now and I got the 2 thumb screws and speedo cable but it wont come out. I think im going to tug harder on it . Its broken anyways so not much to lose.

I hit the back of the two long screws and it came out. It was stuck in there just cus it was old I think. OKay sweet.

M20 Turbo 2002- Sold

1970 2002- Sold

1972 2002 Tii. - Sold

S50 e30- DD