• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Other auto "enthusiast" forums make me sick...

skipsfcr

I check with the Porsche Cayman forum, every once in a while, and it's like, I got a blue one, no I got a white one, I have a silver one. The cars are awesome, but there is little to differentiate them, and few issues or problems, so yes, it is pretty boring... As those cars age, I think the group will evolve to something like ours, but right now there isn't much to talk about. I have to say, that most on that board are just people that enjoy driving, like us. Not much bragging either.

FAQ Member # 91

Porsche

Porsche? Are those the cars with the engine in the rear?

Is there something wrong with that?

yeah, its called basic physics. =p

First, not all Porsche's have engines in the rear, second, the placement of the engine, is just one the variables designing a sports car. The fact is, that the 911's have had an unparalleled winning tradition, you may say, despite their rear engine, nonetheless they have a proven track record - pun intended.

FAQ Member # 91

Porsche

You'd think. That is until you drove one. It's amazing how Porsche can take a design that is flawed in almost every aspect (rear engine, air cooled, boxer) and make it better than, well, any other car. Imagine what they could have done with they started with a good initial design.

double =P

now: '72 Inka 2000 touring, '82 Alpina C1 2.3  & '18 328d wagon (daily driver)

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

Alpina restoration blog: https://www.alpinac1.com/

Porsche

First, not all Porsche's have engines in the rear, second, the placement of the engine, is just one the variables designing a sports car. The fact is, that the 911's have had an unparalleled winning tradition, you may say, despite their rear engine, nonetheless they have a proven track record - pun intended.

Yeah, defying physics and other natural laws is a long-held porsche tradition. i liken it to a guy having a giant ugly wart on his forehead but who has worked on becoming super rich so he gets chicks anyway. youd think it would never work, but it does. and i know some porsches arent rear-engined. the cayman/914 version2 SHOULD be the premiere model with the biggest baddest motors as the chassis layout is inherently superior. only tradition and the marketing dept prevents it from being so.

.... the cayman/914 version2 SHOULD be the premiere model with the biggest baddest motors as the chassis layout is inherently superior. only tradition and the marketing dept prevents it from being so.

re- tradition and marketing

porsche has always been run by savvy engineers not bound by conventional wisdom. they've tried several times to abandon the rear-engine layout (924, 928, 944) and have produced capable sports cars. thing is, the 911 has always outsold these attempts. the cars porsche makes are a reflection of the demand of their niche market. nothing more, nothing less.

the cayman/914 version2 SHOULD be the premiere model with the biggest baddest motors as the chassis layout is inherently superior.

boxster.jpg

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

the cayman/914 version2 SHOULD be the premiere model with the biggest baddest motors as the chassis layout is inherently superior.

boxster.jpg

I lust after that car! If I ever won the lotto...

You get less and have to pay more! what a concept!

I take mine with no extras in white, please, European delivery please, two weeks, with a week at Le Foulon. That is a P dropper!

FAQ Member # 91

I lust after that car! If I ever won the lotto...

You and me both, brother. I read that they are making a similar Cayman version. Might be better -- since you could drive in something other than sunshine -- or could lose all of its sex appeal. We'll see.

My advice: Just borrow a car and drive it - you will understand why people buy these cars. Last summer, I drove my neighbor's 2002 911 Carrera 4 (996 body) with 6-speed and love it! The very next day, I drove another neighbor's 2009 BMW 335i Coupe. Fantastic!

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"